Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Created Screen Lock Password, my but phone says it is incorrect. Locked out.

Hello. Added a passcode/password to my phone a few hours ago (chose a 4 digit number). Prompted me to re-enter it. I did. My phone is now locked, but when I enter the password, it says it in incorrect. I have tired it multiple times and I'm positive it's the same code I entered when creating it. Help? What do I do now? (I have had the phone over 2 years and never use the password feature before).

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
A factory reset is likely the only way to get back into the phone. This will erase all data but allow you to use the phone again. What model is it?
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

A factory reset is likely the only way to get back into the phone. This will erase all data but ...

Really? Ugh. It's an LG Optimus Chat. This is frustrating. I just added it a few hours ago. So does it erase all data as in all pictures, video, song;s, or just contact info and text msgs? Thanks for your help
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

A factory reset is likely the only way to get back into the phone. This will erase all data but ...

Anything on the phone itself will be lost. Anything on sim card or sd card will be safe, although you should remove both before resetting just to be sure. To factory reset an optimus chat, start with the phone off. The press the volume down, power and call buttons at the same time for 10 seconds. The phone will reset as it turns on.
Userlevel 7
Just keep entering a passcode (even if it's wrong) and then eventually after a certain amount of wrong times I BELIEVE it will ask you to reset your passcode using your Google account (gmail account)
Userlevel 1
Isn't that what a PUC (PUK) code is for? Which of course the owner would have to get from Koodo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_unblocking_code
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve wrote:

Isn't that what a PUC (PUK) code is for? Which of course the owner would have to get from Koodo...

The puk code unlocks a pin assigned to the sim card, not a screen lock.
Userlevel 1
Steve wrote:

Isn't that what a PUC (PUK) code is for? Which of course the owner would have to get from Koodo...

Thanks Timo. That's one of the things the community is about, learning! Guess I better make sure I don't forget my unlock code because I always thought there was a back door. A factory reset on the phone is a real downer.
Steve wrote:

I have to completely agree.  There should be a big big warning before setting a code that can completely lock you out of your own phone, and lose most data.  
This just SUCKS big time.  The more secure I try to get the more it just comes back to bite me in the ass.

If I request an unlock code, does that unlock me from Koodo??? I don't know?  Or is it just a screen lock, how do I tell the difference?  I can't even call anyone for support and no online support.  This is absurd, I could compound the problem.  Absurd.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve wrote:

If you would like to be warned that setting a password on your phone will potentially lock you out of the phone should you forget what it is or enter it incorrectly then that is something you would need to take up with the phone manufacturer, not with koodo.
An unlock code from koodo will remove the network lock from your phone, allowing it to be used with any provider. It has nothing to do with the screen lock. If you are locked out of your phone and the phone does not offer you the option of unlocking it using a gmail account then the ONLY way to get back in is a factory reset. Blaming koodo for this is like blaming your mortgage company when you get locked out of your house.
Steve wrote:

How do I use my gmail account to get or reset my puk code?
Steve wrote:

I am unable to call anyone with no phone can I do this on line?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve wrote:

You can't reset a PUK code through your gmail account, you need to contact Koodo. I suggest a PM through their Koodo page, or a DM through their Twitter account, and someone should be able to help you out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve wrote: