Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Connecting to AT&T while in USA

My unlocked Sony Experia Arc does not roam while in USA. The phone could "see" AT&T but listed it with a "NO" symbol as unavailable. Is there something I can do to allow it to roam in USA? The phone was originally a rogers phone that was unlocked - I could roam while I was with rogers.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
This is because you're on prepaid and Prepaid can't roam outside of Canada
Userlevel 7
Ahmad wrote:

I totally missed that tag! Ahmad is right, you can't roam on prepaid.
Ahmad wrote:

Well that s*cks! My phone was a rogers prepaid previously and it roamed just fine. Thanks for the help!
Userlevel 6
Ahmad wrote:

Go to a T-Mobile or AT&T store and buy a SIM - they have service for $2-3/day that covers text and calls in the US (I believe T-Mobile also includes data - AT&T charges more).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

Rogers prepaid did not allow US roaming either until they had been around for 4-5 years.
Ahmad wrote:

The US SIM card option works. In general, if I am in NY State (Watertown, Syracuse and Binghampton) would AT&T be better that TMobile? Where I am heading in a couple weeks is Shinhopple, which typically has low signal at the best of times. http://goo.gl/maps/h1rWr
Userlevel 7
Ahmad wrote:

AT&T is generally better coverage but T Mobile has better rates but I'm not certain on that since I don't travel very often.
Userlevel 6
Ahmad wrote:

AT&T has better coverage than T-Mobile in that area, though there are some gaps along NY 30. AT&T T-Mobile