Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Choose happy? I guess I have to move provinces

Userlevel 3
So I'm on red flag deals, I notice that on Saskatchewan koodo offers 5gb of data and unlimited everything else for 48 dollars a month. I pay 39 a month from an old double data and minutes promo and get only 450 minutes and 600mb of data for 39 plus tax which comes to 44 bucks. In Ontario you get unlimited minutes but only 1gb of data for $45 before tax. A little help getting me through this! I believe your website currently says choose happy, we'll I guess I've chosen wrong.

10 replies

Userlevel 3
I see that in Ontario, to get the same plan you have to pay 88 dollars. Does Saskatchewan use a more valuable form of Canadian Dollar that I'm not aware of?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Saskatchewan and Manitoba have always had cheaper plans. Nothing new, really.
Userlevel 3
LIke Sophia said it is true Saskatchewan and Manitoba have always had cheaper plans. I believe it's due to increased competition brought forth by their respective regional carriers Sasktel and MTS.
Userlevel 3
quebec has marginally cheaper plans too.
Userlevel 3
if i went to Quebec to register for a new plan could i keep it while living in Ontario?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
TtDd15 wrote:

if i went to Quebec to register for a new plan could i keep it while living in Ontario?

You'd need proof of residency in QC in order to sign up there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can "move" to Quebec, MB or SK by choosing a number there, billed according to your area code. Great for your outgoing calls, but don't expect that new friend down the street or family in TO to call you back and pay long distance from their land line anytime soon. Quite a discussion on Howardforums. Ways to do it, but be advised, accounts are subject to audit. Sooner or later you will bump into CRTC & Competition Bureau rules where carriers can't offer service if most of your use is more than 50% outside the area you have contracted for. Generally, if you try to bend the rules or take advantage of a loophole with the telcos, they will eventually snap back. For a while Tracfone in the US was offering multiplying your current minutes and service days outstanding on their pre-paid plan if you switched to an Android phone. True to form, some folks bought a cheap refurb android, ported their number & got the minutes doubled and service time extended. Some were not sufficiently satisfied, so they went out and bought a second refurb android, repeated the process. Deactivated the first one. Waited a few days and then ping-ponged back and forth. Thousands of minutes and thousands of days evaporated quickly when this loophole was snagged and customers had to face reality. We're all welcome to our own interpretation, but the telco holds the switch.
Userlevel 6
BobTheElectrician wrote:

You can "move" to Quebec, MB or SK by choosing a number there, billed according to your area code...

Hi Bob, in order to get a number from Quebec, MB or SK (which means calling us because it can't be done via Self Serve), you will have to provide an address in that province. You would also be taxed PST/HST accordingly. Thank you!
BobTheElectrician wrote:

You can "move" to Quebec, MB or SK by choosing a number there, billed according to your area code...

Yannick, no you don't. Everyone on redflagdeals who live in Ontario can get the Mb SK plan through self serve.
Userlevel 6
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Hi Peter, which means there is a glitch somewhere then, since it should not be possible via Self Serve. Thanks for letting us know, we'll definitely have a look into it 🙂