Koodo Community

Community

Charging Issue with S5 Neo (Only Charges when Powered Off)

Hello

I'm having a charging issue with my S5 neo, totally stock.
Phone worked perfectly up to the point that I upgraded to Nougat 7.0, now the phone will not charge if it's powered on. (car charger as an example)

The only way I can get the phone to charge is to turn it off, then it will take a charge using the stock charging cord and my car charger.

What is interesting is that when the phone is on and you plug in the charger the screen will give the customary blink but the lighting bolt does not appear in the battery. Obviously the phone understands the charger is connected (by the blink) just won't charge unless it's powered down.

Then to make things more confusing (LOL) occasionally after I turn the phone off and then back on again the phone will start to take a charge. Ah........

This feel like a software issue or a demonic possession 🙂

Anyone having this issue? Seen it before?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If it started exactly when you had a software update it is likely that's why. How old is it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You're no the only one : https://thedroidguy.com/2017/02/samsung-galaxy-s7-no-longer-charges-normally-android-nougat-update-t...

Try troubleshooting option on that site.
Thanks for the quick response guy's!

Goran, the phone is only a year and half old, been working perfectly up to this point.

Robert I'm going to try the troubleshooting suggestion in the link you provided when I get home from work. Let you know how it works out. Good to see I'm not the only one experiencing issues.

My other Nougat peeve is the stupid clock on the lock screen displaying like this:
What were they thinking.........Already found a new theme to fix it from the suggestions on this site.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Charlie wrote:

Goran, the phone is only a year and half old, been working...

Well that clock part not much can be done as a design decision. Hopefully the troubleshooting works. If it doesn't since it's out of warranty you could use Odin to downgrade temporarily if it's too much of a problem until Samsung fixes it.
Charlie wrote:

Goran, the phone is only a year and half old, been working...

I finally had a chance to try the trouble shooting in the link above. Good and bad news. I'm now able to charge the phone via the wall plug while its on. But still no luck with the car charger, still wont charge. Bought a new charging cable, no change. Just did a factory reset, you guessed it still not able to charge in my car but I can charge from the wall. Any one have a LONG extension cord lol. What would be the steps with odin to revert back to marshmallow?