Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Changing to new plans in Quebec but only being given Ontario options?

I am a current Koodo Quebec monthly customer. I'm in an old plan with the tab, and my phone has been paid off (actually I'm in the positive now on my tab balance). I want to change to the new plans, keeping my existing phone. I know that means I will lose the Koodo tab contribution.
When I go to switch to the new plans, it only shows me the Ontario plans pricing, instead of the Quebec plan pricing which is much better. How can I see the right phone options?

When I go on the koodo website (not in self-serve section) I am able to see them. Maybe the self-serve isn't programmed properly? Thanks for any assistance!

16 replies

Userlevel 7
You're not seeing Ontario's pricing, you're seeing the old pricing for Quebec plans because you're on an old plan. You can switch to a new plan by calling into customer service at *611 from your Koodo phone. Once you switch to a new plan, you'll stop accumulating a positive tab and you'll be able to switch plans via self-serve by yourself. 
Thanks Ahmad, but that's not the case. I see the old Quebec plans first (which were the same as the Ontario ones), then when I click to switch to the new plans it only gives me the new Ontario plans.
Userlevel 7
maxmichel wrote:

Thanks Ahmad, but that's not the case. I see the old Quebec plans first (which were the same as t...

Either way, because you're on an old plan you have to call in to make the change to a new plan. That's how its always been. You shouldn't even be able to see the NEW ontario pricing
maxmichel wrote:

Thanks Ahmad, but that's not the case. I see the old Quebec plans first (which were the same as t...

I think this is incorrect - when the new plans were launched, it wasn't possible, but they have since added the functionnality to the website so people can switch over themselves. Happy to be corrected if this is wrong, but I know this is a new thing that I wasn't able to access before.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
maxmichel wrote:

Hi there...

Is your number from Ontario or from Quebec? Most likely you have an Ontario number and this is why you do not see the Quebec plans in your Self Serve... Could you please confirm to give you a hand?

If it is a Quebec number, you will have to get in touch with Customer Service to change your TAB type for the new one, like this you will be able to have access to the new plans...

Enjoy!
maxmichel wrote:

Thanks Camilo - you are absolutely right!! I hadn't even thought of that - we live on the Quebec side but in the Ottawa-Gatineau region, and we are using 613 area codes which is completely the cause of it. Thanks for identifying the problem!! Looks like we'll have to stick to Ontario plans 😉
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
maxmichel wrote:

Any time maxmichel! 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
maxmichel wrote:

Hello Max. 

Because your billing address is in QC, you could use the QC plans. You would just need to call in and arrange it with someone from Koodo! Like that, you'll end up paying less for more.
maxmichel wrote:

That sounds amazing Robert - I will definitely see if I can do that, because indeed our billing address is in QC 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
maxmichel wrote:

I could be wrong... But as long as maxmichel keeps his Ontario number, he will not be able to get a Quebec plan...
maxmichel wrote:

Thanks Camilo - I just realised Robert wasn't a Koodo staff member, I thought he was saying it as a fact rather than a theory! I too suspect that the Ontario number would be regulated under Ontario plans, rather than billing info. I might call to try to find out either way.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
maxmichel wrote:

Hello Max.

What I meant is that because you're in QC, you could indeed get a QC number and have a QC plan. But not with an Ontario number. Since Camilo mentioned it before, I thought it was already established that in order to get QC plans, you will need a QC number. So in other words, my suggestion was : get a QC number and and QC plan to pay cheaper.

My bad if you guys understood that with an ON number you can get a QC plan. This is not possible. 

maxmichel wrote:

As per the crtc if an existing customer with koodo has a different number aka province/area code shouldn't that person be able to switch there plan based on principle residence? They should be able to keep there number? Thx
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
maxmichel wrote:

You have to be a residence to get a province/area code and plan.
You should be able to keep your number - say Ontario number when you living in QC. But you can't switch to QC plan as long as you have Ontario number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
maxmichel wrote:

A CRTC policy regulation reference would be appreciated if you've come across one. Otherwise it seems Koodo and other carriers can require that you get a local area code to get the rate plan for the province as a tool to make it more difficult for people out of province to get the good plans.
Userlevel 6
maxmichel wrote:

To my knowledge, the CRTC does not require wireless carriers to offer different plans in different provinces. Carriers are only voluntarily doing this to be more competitive with the big competitor in the given province where that big competitor has substantial market share.
Carriers have no benefit extending these competitive province-specific plans to the rest of Canada. To control this, to qualify for these plans, your phone number would require an area code of that province, and the billing address should match that province as well. You could have a Gaspé number with a Maniwaki billing address, a Montréal number with a Sherbrooke billing address, but both the phone number and billing address would have to be within the same province. Cellphone service activation at the kiosk will most likely require proof of residency via D/L, or SIN plus utility bill.
If you're adamant about keeping your number, you're not on a tab or your tab is low and you live in Quebec, you could port out your Ontario number to Voip.ms, Fongo, etc. and just call forward, then activate a new cellphone number from Quebec and get a QC plan.