Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Cannot Group Message with MMS on Android

I cannot group message using MMS, regardless of which app I use. I have tried multiple different APN settings. The group messages I try to send go out as MMS, however it never creates a conversation thread. I am using a Nexus 4 with Android Lollipop 5.0.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Group messaging, in the way you think it is, isn't actually a thing on Android. It just sends the message out to the group of people individually. When the people reply, they are replying only to you. Not to "the group". So the message only goes to you. Some specific models of phones of some manufacturers are able to rely to the entire group, but very limited. For example, on BlackBerry when I receive the message I can see who else you sent it too as well and can reply to "all" or just you. If you want to group message properly, get an iPhone and iMessage.
Ahmad wrote:

Group messaging, in the way you think it is, isn't actually a thing on Android. It just sends the...

Unfortunately, thats not true. Many people can group message using MMS on Android devices, including using the Nexus 4. Group MMS messaging is an option in the settings of almost all Android texting apps including the stock apps. (Messaging, Hangouts) However, even though I have enabled this option, the Group messaging still does not work. The messaging you are talking about for the Blackberry, is using MMS to give you that reply all option. Unless you are using BBM (Black Berry Messenger) which doesn't use MMS, but Blackberry's own messaging service.
Userlevel 7
Ahmad wrote:

Group messaging, in the way you think it is, isn't actually a thing on Android. It just sends the...

You're telling me its not true and then half way through your argument you agree confirm that what I said is true. Group messaging is a phone feature, like I said. Read in-between the lines "certain models of phones of some manufacturers". Not all android also. So you are just completely wrong.
Ahmad wrote:

When did I confirm what you said is true? Yes MMS is a phone feature, a feature that my phone (and all Android phones) have. Which Android phone do you have? Check the stock messaging app for the MMS group option.
Userlevel 5
Hi there, The group messaging function is available on Android 🙂. However all members of the group must have a compatible phone, with the « Group MMS option» ON. If you send a message using group messaging and at least one contact isn't using this option, an individual message will go to each recipient (by SMS or MMS). Only the original sender will get any responses to these messages, in separate message threads. Hope this helps 🙂. Thanks ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.