Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can't text from overseas with roaming add on

Userlevel 1
I'm trying to text from Europe with my samsung galaxy s3 but all messages fail to send. I've added the 30BUNDLE to my plan so I should be able to text no problem. I've tried restarting the phone, taking out the SIM card, and enabling data usage (it was turned off so I don't go over my limit) and nothing worked. Any ideas?

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Do you have the intl roaming add-on? Do you have any service? If both answers are no you should add them through self serve!

Userlevel 1
The description on koodo's websites said I didn't need to add these if you purchased a roaming bundle. I tried to add them anyway following your suggestion but I get an error saying "The plan or add-on you've selected cannot be added since it's already on your account. Try adding another add-on." There is already an add-on to my account titled "international roaming" which I assume is a stand in for the buundle I purchased.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hmm. This is weird. Do you have any service on your phone? Does your phone connect to a carrier in Europe?
Userlevel 1
Hi Robert,

Yeah, I definitely have service. I also tried switching mobile networks and I cannot text through any of them. It turns out it's not just texting, I tried to call koodo and I am unable to make calls as well. That is particularly odd because when I first arrived in Germany a week ago I made a call. Something must have happened in the inbetween which resulted in me losing functionality. I should mention that I can receive texts just fine. Thanks for the help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Have you tried closing an re-opening your phone with removing the SIM card?
Userlevel 1
Yeah, a few times actually.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Have you removed the SIM card too?
Userlevel 1
Yes to that as well. I have a friend here with me who also has a koodo phone, I'll try switching out SIMs to see if it's an issue with my phone specifically
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ok! Kepp me posted 🙂
Userlevel 1
So it turns it is an issue with my SIM card. I was able to text with my phone and someone else's SIM, but I couldn't text with someone's phone and my SIM. This probably means its not something I can fix, right? 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Corey.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe you could call Koodo and ask a refund for that if the problem cannot get fixed. With the money you have unlock your phone and buy a Local SIM. This is what I would do!
Userlevel 1
Thanks robert! Looks like I'll have to do that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Keep me posted 🙂 I'm curious to know if everything worked out for you!
Userlevel 1
Koodo was very quick to respond over email, and they were able to remove the roaming plan from my phone. They then re-added everything again and it's all working fine now! They also gave me a 40$ credit so I'm not paying double for the roaming plan. I'm very happy they were able to fix everything so quickly! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Happy to see everything worked out! Have a nice trip!