Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can't register on network while traveling abroad

I'm using a locked Koodo phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) with a monthly plan in the Netherlands while on vacation. I can't seem to get it to register on the network. I'd like to be able to make send text messages to activate an international add-on but I can't even send the text message to do that! I've tried: - restarting my phone - enabling and disabling flight mode - taking the battery out - taking my Sim out - manually selecting a carrier (Vodafone NL, KPN NL and T-Mobile NL: All tell me that my Sim card does not allow me to register on this network) - automatically selecting a carrier (fails) I have about 2 weeks left on vacation and would like to use it before the end. I'm kicking myself for not having unlocked my phone before flying out. Any ideas?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Did you know you can add the add-ons via self serve? Log into self serve and add them yourself. Also To get access to network outside the U.S., you must add the following add-ons to your account:

International Voice Roaming
International Data Roaming
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
[b]International roaming step-by-step:

1. See if your phone is compatible with the locale you will be visiting. If it’s not, then don’t waste any more of your time:

http://willmyphonework.net/

Prepaid phones will not roam unless you get them unlocked and buy a local SIM, so the following applies only for post-paid customers.

2. Check your plan add-ons in self-serve. Enable international voice roaming and international data roaming then restart the phone. Some people have complained they can’t find one or the other add-ons by using the Koodo app on the phone itself. In that case, use your browser and connect to self-serve that way. Both are listed at $0 per month and are needed in order to make any kind of connection outside North America. Apparently just doing the 00TEXT or 00BUNDLE to 5242 is not enough in some cases. Instructions are at

http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/travelling

Bundle or pay per use as you wish. If you are using a bundle, make sure to send the activating text while you are still in Canada. Expect a confirming text in return.

You also have the option of unlocking your phone and using a local SIM if that will be more advantageous. Some of the info is not completely up-to-date, but it’s a good start:

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data

[Thanks to Robert].

3. Download Fongo. They give you a real Canadian phone # and you can call anywhere in Canada for free, regardless of where you are - providing that you have a wifi connection. You can then use this to call customer service at 1 (866) 995-6636. If you arrive overseas and have no service, this may be the only way to speak to someone at Koodo.

[Thanks to Ivan].

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/international-roaming-plan-doesnt-work

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Is it no longer the case that you have to be in Canada to do the add-ons then? I recall people asking about that often until pretty recently. This seems to be t successor issue now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Is it no longer the case that you have to be in Canada to do the add-ons then? I recall people as...

You need to be in Canada to do add-ons via text. Self Serve and customer care don't have a geographical restriction.
Goran wrote:

Is it no longer the case that you have to be in Canada to do the add-ons then? I recall people as...

Thank you for all of your comments! My phone is compatible with the network here. I'd checked that before asking the question, but forgot to mention it. I had no idea that I could add the add-on via the self serve website. I couldn't do it earlier as there was maintenance going on, but I just added International Voice Roaming and my text messaging works! Also, I added the 15$ text add on from here so it all worked out wonderfully. Thanks guys!
Goran wrote:

But yes, it appears I don't need to be in Canada to do add-ons via text 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Awesome! I'm glad that it all worked out. I always recommend Fongo though for making calls if you have access to wi-fi or are getting a local Sim with data as well.