Koodo Community
Question

Can't make/receive calls without resetting network - network issue?

• 15 April 2020
  • 8 replies

For a few days I’ve had intermittent problems making calls. A few hours ago I stopped being able to make any calls at all and haven’t been able to receive any either. I am still able to send and receive texts. 

I called a local mobile shop thinking it was my phone, but the employee said Koodo was having network issues and that resetting my network settings might help. Resetting does fix the problem, but only for 30 minutes to an hour at a time. Is this likely a koodo network issue? Or is it my phone? 

Unfortunately, my sim card slot won’t open for me to try taking it out and putting it back in, so all I’ve been able to do is restart the device and reset the network. 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There are many possible reasons for it. In my area (BC), it has been all fine.

What phone are you using? was it working well before? where are you staying? (indoor/outdoor?) what was the signal strength? who were the caller carriers? (did they have issue in their areas?)

Also, are you using wifi-calling indoor?

I’m in Ontario. 

I have a Huawei P20 Pro. This is the first time I’ve had an issue with it. 

I’m currently at home (indoors) where it has always worked. 

Signal strength is strong. 

Not sure about caller carriers. 

No wifi calling. 

Today it is working better so far. I have been able to make a receive a few calls. Much better than yesterday at least. It seems to be intermittent again, but more successful than not. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m in Ontario. 

I have a Huawei P20 Pro. This is the first time I’ve had an issue with it. 

I’m currently at home (indoors) where it has always worked. 

Signal strength is strong. 

Not sure about caller carriers. 

No wifi calling. 

Today it is working better so far. I have been able to make a receive a few calls. Much better than yesterday at least. It seems to be intermittent again, but more successful than not. 

It is hard to pinpoints the exact reasons in cases like this. However, you could eliminate things one by one (network, phone, callers, signal reception, etc).

For the network, if you have an app to measure the signal strength and bands, that could be a good one to test. You could also ask other people in the area and see if they had the same issue. If you have another phone, you could also test the SIM in it and see if it was the phone or something else.

“it take 2 to tango”, drop calls could also be dropped because of the network of the people from the other sides. I would suggest you test with contacts who you know they have good connections (e.g. outdoor or land lines)…

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Why are you unable to remove your sim?  DId you lose the sim extractor tool? Is there damage to the sim tray?  If there is damage, this could be the reason why you are having issues

It is hard to pinpoints the exact reasons in cases like this. However, you could eliminate things one by one (network, phone, callers, signal reception, etc).

For the network, if you have an app to measure the signal strength and bands, that could be a good one to test. You could also ask other people in the area and see if they had the same issue. If you have another phone, you could also test the SIM in it and see if it was the phone or something else.

“it take 2 to tango”, drop calls could also be dropped because of the network of the people from the other sides. I would suggest you test with contacts who you know they have good connections (e.g. outdoor or land lines)…

Well, it’s not even that calls are dropping, it’s that it will say dialing and then the call will end. Even when calling my voicemail. It doesn’t seem to matter what numbers I try to call when the issue appears as I have called cell phones and landlines. I’ve also had those numbers try to call me and it doesn’t ring on either side.  That being said, it has consistently worked for almost all of today, so perhaps my mobile shop was correct when they said there was an issue in the area yesterday. 

Thanks for your suggestions. I think if the issue persists I will visit the mobile shop and see if they can get my sim card out to check it. 

Why are you unable to remove your sim?  DId you lose the sim extractor tool? Is there damage to the sim tray?  If there is damage, this could be the reason why you are having issues

No, no damage. The tray simply doesn’t pop open when I insert the tool. I’m not sure why because it hasn’t been touched since I purchased the phone and it has been safely covered by a case for the entire time I’ve had it. I used a little bit of force but it wasn’t working and I didn’t want to damage it, so I left it alone. If I find that I need to get it out I will visit a mobile shop for help. 

Can't make and receive any calls also it's been an hour... But the network bar is full still I'm having trouble. I did everything to figure this out but couldn't work, so can any one able to guide with this ? Also having another issue with automatically calls are cut during a conversation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can't make and receive any calls also it's been an hour... But the network bar is full still I'm having trouble. I did everything to figure this out but couldn't work, so can any one able to guide with this ? Also having another issue with automatically calls are cut during a conversation.

What plan were you on? Have you checked your selfserve and see if your have enough minutes (prepaid) or the account was paid up to date (postpaid)/

Also I would suggest you try to restart the phone. Sometime, a simple restart would help.