Koodo Community

Community

Solved

can't connect to home wi-fi on galaxy ace?

so i just got the galaxy ace 2 x and everything worked fine until i tried to connect with my home network. i've chosen the network and typed in the password repeatedly and i cannot click the connect option. i've factory reset the phone and nothing has changed... can't just look for open networks and use my data all the time. help?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
did you try rebooting the router? (do it even if other devices are connecting fine)
I have had a fine time with my Internet until a few days ago. The same phone, I reconnected. It says I am connected but I can't use my Internet. Other devices in my house that require Internet works fine. Whenever, let's say I use YouTube. It tries to load up but you see the the circle spinning. i disconnected and reconnected my router. It still doesn't work. When I go to the Wi-Fi page it says Scanning at the top right corner almost every time. I even tried by turning off Wi-Fi and turning on Wi-Fi. It still wouldn't work. And lately, when I turn on my Wi-Fi it says turning on and turning off and the cycle repeats over and over again.
Gerard Mascarenhas wrote:

I have had a fine time with my Internet until a few days ago. The same phone, I reconnected. It s...

Oh and I've also had to restart my phone so many times. Still no changes whatsoever. Even if I sit right beside the router.
Badge +4
Try the method I posted: http://gsfn.us/t/4928t
Thanks for replying back rikkster but my case worsened and I don't know if it will still apply so I'll tell you my current status. When I open up Wi-Fi it says Notify Me and Add Networks. This is when it's off. When it's turning on all it says is Turning on. Even when the the bar that slides at the top right, slides to the right to turn on it doesn't work and the bar slides to the left and still says turning on. In Advanced these are Gray:Network Notifications, MAC Address and IP address. In White are: Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep and check for Internet service. My IP address says unavailable. I am a little ticked off because I pressed backspace and it erased everything I had written so neatly before. Oh and besides that my phone turned off and restarted somewhere when I was checking and writing. My phone restarting on it's own has been occurring frequently lately
Badge +4

Thanks for replying back rikkster but my case worsened and I don't know if it will still apply s...

The IP address shows unavailable on my Ace 2x as well. The MAC address which is your Wi-Fi MAC address should appear below the option to 'Check for Internet Service' and consists of a series of six alphanumeric characters separated by colons. You'll want to write those numbers down somewhere. So far, the only way I can replicate what you're experiencing, is if you've accidentally tried to use Wi-Fi Direct. When selected, there is a warning message that states "Start Wi-Fi Direct operation. This will turn off Wi-Fi client/hotspot operation". This will have the same effect where the slider slides back to the off position as you describe. If you've selected the above option, go into Settings > More settings and verify that Wi-Fi Direct is turned off. If not, turn off Wi-Fi Direct, go back to Settings > Wi-Fi and slide the slider to the ON position and try to establish a Wi-Fi connection. If the above methods fail to resolve the problem, power off the Ace 2x and remove the battery. Leave the battery out for thirty seconds. Re-install battery and see if you're able to get a Wi-Fi connection. If all methods have failed, a factory reset is the next step. This will wipe everything on your device, but won't touch anything on the storage card unless you instruct the phone to do so. Back up what you want to keep to your computer i.e. pictures, music, etc. Use Samsung Kies and perform a full backup, the software (if you don't have it already) is a free download available from Samsung. Link below: http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/JSP In Kies, select the Backup/Restore tab and select which items you want to backup. To the left, you'll see Data Backup. Below that you will see Restore data. Once you've completed the factory reset, you'll be able to restore the data to your Ace 2x. The factory reset is performed by going into Settings > Back up and reset - make sure that both Back up my data and Automatic restore are enabled or checked off. Verify that you have an active backup account, for example, you@gmail.com. Tap Factory data reset then tap Reset device. Once the Ace 2x completes the factory reset, you'll be able to restore the data with Kies and this should fix the restarting issue with your Ace 2x. This should also clear the problem you're having with not being able to connect to Wi-Fi. I'll leave it at that for now, once you've completed the above steps, let us know if everything went according to plan, then we'll proceed with getting your Ace 2x to connect to Wi-Fi with the method I provided in the other link.

Thanks for replying back rikkster but my case worsened and I don't know if it will still apply s...

My phone was actually sent to repairs. It came back a week ago but found out my battery died. So I needed to get a new battery and that took up another week and a half. So I finally got my battery back today and I am still facing the problems after a reset because all my stuff is gone. Oh and by the way, this incident happened the day before you replied.
Badge +4

Did you get any sort of explanation as to what was done to your phone repair-wise or what the problem may have been?

The problem was that my phone wouldn't turn on and I told them about the Wi-Fi issue as well but the guy just wrote down that it wouldn't turn on.
Userlevel 7

Contact service right away and tell them you're still having this issue.
Badge +4

Chad is correct and it would have been my next suggestion as well. If the device is still doing the same thing before you sent it off for repair and is continuing to show the same signs after repair, basically nothing has been repaired.
Userlevel 7
Yeah i agree, try putting your phone into airplane mode then turn airplane off and see if it detects your wifi network. then try rebooting and if that still doesnt work i guess a factory reset will be necessary. make sure to backup your contacts and stuff though. Hope it works! 🙂
Badge +4
Daniel Kim wrote:

Yeah i agree, try putting your phone into airplane mode then turn airplane off and see if it dete...

I don't see how that would work, given that Gerard can't turn on Wi-Fi to start with.