Koodo Community
Question

Can people buy most of Koodo's Android then unlock it and go to a different carrier? If there Data plan's are more competitive, that is.

• 25 September 2013
  • 4 replies

I like the LG Nexus 4, Samsung S3 or S4......who know's if there's an S5? I'll take it too. I've been looking at the data plans, and they the data isn't very encouraging.......Looking at MTS, Roger's, whoever can compete with the big K. But yeah, getting back to the topic. If i buy an Android from Koodo, if its unlocked can i get service from any of the above carriers? I might still go with Koodo, but the prices are pretty insane for data, seriously.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The nexus 4 (or any nexus device) is factory unlocked by default. As long as the other carriers support the same frequency bands, the phones will function. However, I don't think koodo will sell you a phone outright without being a customer or paying for prepaid sim. Theoretically you could become a customer and activate the phone and then cancel but that means multiple credit checks and hassles. Unless you're going with a regional type carrier like wind or videotron, idt you're going to find a better value for a national service provider than koodo.
Userlevel 6
Dude, you live in in Manitoba. Koodo has plans for you guys that no one else has. A decent plan with a good chunk of data from MTS is $65. http://www.mts.ca/mts/personal/wireless/wireless+plans/4g+smartphone+plans/talk+&+surf+5+gb+plan Koodo will give you the same for only $55. I don't think you find anything better somewhere elese.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Aaron, all Canadian non-CDMA carriers operate on the same UMTS frequency bands EXCEPT Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron but those aren't available to you anyways. Therefore, if unlocked, a Koodo phone will work on any other carrier available to you.