Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can I use my prepaid account balance towards paying for a monthly plan if I'm looking into switching?

I have some money in my prepaid account, and I would like to switch to a postpaid monthly plan. Is there any way I can transfer the money in my prepaid account to go towards paying for a monthly plan? Or do I have to use up whatever money I have left in my prepaid plan before moving to a postpaid plan?

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The answer is maybe.
They tried it for a limited time.  But I am unsure what that limited time was

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/prepaid-to-monthly-postpaid-incentives?utm_source=not...
Userlevel 7
Yes you can, Caroline. If you switch to a monthly plan, you can transfer any leftover prepaid balance to your monthly plan as a credit.
Ahmad wrote:

Yes you can, Caroline. If you switch to a monthly plan, you can transfer any leftover prepaid bal...

thank you i will contact them tommorow
does that apply to data, too?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bea W wrote:

No, the only thing that will be carried towards your new plan, is your unused funds balance, Bea. It is also not a given... you'd have to discuss it when you sign up if they are willing to transfer your balance 🙂
Bea W wrote:

very helpful response. Thank you!
Bea W wrote:

Koodo now transferred the unused phone portion to my new plan. Since I have considerable data credit left on prepaid can I still use that up with the old prepaid SIM without having to top the account up before it expires in Sept?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bea W wrote:

I assume they ported your number in? If so, then your prepaid account is closed I'm afraid... you will have lost your data together with the account.
Bea W wrote:

no, the number is still active. At least, so Koodo says in their email.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bea W wrote:

You get the $$$ balance credited, [i]because that's what the CRTC mandates, but your remaining boosters (unused minutes/data/texts are toast).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bea W wrote:

Ooh did you get a NEW number for your new postpaid plan, Bea? In that case, yes you can use up your data, but not till September, only until the next expiry date because you don't have any funds left, isn't that true? Can you still log into your prepaid self service and/or dial 611?
Bea W wrote:

Yes, I did get an entirely new number for my postpaid plan.
But I can still get into the old prepaid account with the following message
  • Amount Due to Reactivate Plan: $15.00
  • Plan Expiry Date: Jun 28, 2016
  • Account Deactivation Date: Sep 27, 2016
  • Current Balance: $0.00
  • Current Booster Add-on(s)
  •   Amount Used Data Booster 1 GB 300.654  /  2043.957 MB Data Booster 500 MB 291.029  /  500 MB Talk Booster 100 0  /  100 MIN Talk Booster 25 14  /  25 MIN
  •  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bea W wrote:

What I suggest you do, Bea, top up once more with $15 so you have another 30 days to use up your data and minutes... then let it expire once and for all. You can't use anything right now, because your account needs to be active for you to use your boosters.

Edit: if you wish you can also give your prepaid account to a relative or friend, obviously they would need to top up too and you'd have to change all the personal information, but they'd probably be happy to get their account started with quite a bit of data left 🙂

I'm curious why you signed up for postpaid with so much data left?
Bea W wrote:

Yes, I did get an entirely new number for my postpaid plan.
But I can still get into the old prepaid account with the following message

• Amount Due to Reactivate Plan: $15.00
  • Plan Expiry Date: Jun 28, 2016
  • Account Deactivation Date: Sep 27, 2016
  • Current Balance: $0.00
  • Current Booster Add-on(s)
  •   Amount Used Data Booster 1 GB 300.654  /  2043.957 MB Data Booster 500 MB 291.029  /  500 MB Talk Booster 100 0  /  100 MIN Talk Booster 25 14  /  25 MIN
  •  

Bea W wrote:

I went on a trip to India and needed a different plan to use my phone from there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bea W wrote:

Well... you have a heck of a huge amount left, about 2GB of data altogether and almost 2 hours talk time. I'm sure you will be able to make someone very, very happy with that - perhaps a niece or nephew in need of a prepaid plan?
Bea W wrote:

I had the talk time transferred to postpaid, meanwhile. So just lots of data left.
Unfortunately, there is nobody here I could give that to. If I reactivated prepaid for a while as you suggested can I, at the same time, suspend my postpaid plan without penalty?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bea W wrote:

Sadly... no... you can't postpone a monthly plan. Remember that as long as you renew your base plan on or before September 26, you will get 30 days of service in which you can use up your data. Or you could just let it expire on the 27th... but my frugal nature would cry at that thought, haha...