Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can I use a Rogers Xperia SP with Koodo prepaid?

Is this possible:

Purchase just the Xperia SP from fido or rogers (when released) without contract or plan and port the phone to koodo's prepaid plan and boosters. How easy is it to just buy a phone out right from another vendor and will Koodo's network support the Xperia SP LTE based phone?

Thanks

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It depends what frequencies the phone is compatible with. Koodo users 850mhz /1900mhz & band 4 1700mhz for LTE
Userlevel 7
If it runs on Rogers' LTE network, it will also work on Koodo's. It's up to that certain retailer if they want to cell you a phone outright and even then, you need to get it unlocked.
Ahmad wrote:

If it runs on Rogers' LTE network, it will also work on Koodo's. It's up to that certain retailer...

Do the vendors unlock or am I able to unlock from home and is it legal?
Userlevel 5
Ahmad wrote:

If it runs on Rogers' LTE network, it will also work on Koodo's. It's up to that certain retailer...

Most stores do not unlock the phone. You could try to request an unlock code from Rogers/Fido but I assume they will deny it as you are not a client of theirs. Your best bet is then to unlock it by buying the code online. While legal, depending on the process it could void the warranty on the device.
This is the website i use to unlock my phones http://cellunlocker.net/
I took a look at Koodo's coverage map and below the interactive map it reads: "CDMA and LTE coverage are not available with Koodo Prepaid." I might at well switch to fido instead of buying out the phone from fido and porting it over to koodo. Thanks for the help though. I appreciate it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
EES wrote:

I took a look at Koodo's coverage map and below the interactive map it reads: "CDMA and LTE cover...

Just curious why you really want the Experia SP, what's drawing you to that phone particularly?
EES wrote:

I took a look at Koodo's coverage map and below the interactive map it reads: "CDMA and LTE cover...

Ultimately I am looking to get the best phone-and-plan for my buck. The Xperia SP fulfills a combinations of my needs which is currently being offered by Fido for $30 down, but then again, I might as well opt out for Fido's Samsung Galaxy S3 with $50 down on new activations as suggested by futureshop or bestbuy. This would be a nice change for both my wife and I as we are currently using Koodo's Samsung Galaxy ace.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
EES wrote:

If your looking at the Galaxy S3 then you can get it from Koodo for $0 by putting it on a medium Tab then just choose a plan of $30 or more & pay off the tab at $5 a month for 24 months, after 24 months koodo will pay off the tab completely & you owe nothing on the phone then. You can do the same with the Nexus 4 & as I have the Galaxy S3 & Galaxy S4 & Nexus 4 I strongly suggest getting the Nexus 4 it's a better phone than the Galaxy S3 & since the Nexus 4 just recieved Android 4.3 it's very very close to being just as fast as the Galaxy S4 & for less than half the price, it's an awesome phone.
EES wrote:

Not sure how you're working out the numbers here but this is what I have gathered. Correct me if I'm looking at this all the wrong way and explain. Koodo Samsung Galaxy S3: "Get this phone on Tab Medium for $250" instead of $550 as the medium tab deducts $300 off the retail price. In addition to this, the buyer must pay $5 on top of the $39 (tier one plan I would opt for) which equates to ~$44. Fido is $39 flat over two years. The difference between koodo and fido over 24 months is $120 just on the plan - if you include the price of phone and the plan the difference is $340 As far as internet browsing speed is concerned is there a difference between the Nexus 4 HSPA and Galaxy S3 LTE, because what I've seen and read there is a difference - significant difference.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
EES wrote:

Sorry man I thought the S3 was down to $300 on Koodo not $550 my bad. As far as Internet speed LTE is indeed faster but you get a Web page like a second or two faster so IMO it doesn't warrant getting half the battery life which is what you get using LTE, well almost half the battery life it's slightly above half. What I meant about speed though is that there's no lag issues with the Nexus 4 it's buttery smooth where the S3 has some lag that noticeable due to it only being a dual core processor where the Nexus 4 is a quad core & has Android 4.3 which has more performance improvements. Another great thing about the Nexus 4 is it will get the most recent version of Android for longer & Much quicker, usually around 6 months before any other phone will which is a huge bonus.
EES wrote:

I remember why I decided not to get the Nexus 4 - the longevity of a single battery charge is one of the poorest on the market which cannot be helped. Its the #1 complaint about the phone. With moderate use, a user can expect to be charging in the middle of the day as well as before going to bed. Other than that it is a beautiful phone. I suspect the S3 LTE (with Fido) would hold a charge longer than a Nexus 4 on HSPA. I'll make a stop at Bestbuy later today and inquire more information regarding the Nexus and S3. Thank you for your feedback and suggestions I really appreciate your help with this decision of mine.
EES wrote:

Hey Paul, I took your advice and got the nexus 4 with Koodo using the grandfather plan which I was able to forward. You're absolutely right this phone is absolutely amazing. I have yet to try out the s3 but there simply isn't any need too as the nexus does everything I need it to at lightning speed for zero dollars. I will be upgrading my wife's phone later this evening as well. Thanks for the advice and suggestion. No regrets. Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
EES wrote:

Great to hear, glad your enjoying the phone as much as me EES. I hope koodo continues to get the Nexus line when the Nexus 5 is released around Christmas or so, it's a great device at an even better price. Remember if you have any more questions about the Nexus feel free to come back to the forum as a few of us are rocking that great phone at the moment. Have a great day.
Userlevel 2
Koodo's prepaid users do not currently have access to LTE, as you discovered on the website.