Koodo Community

Community

Solved

can I receive calls internationally

For just $3/month, the International Long Distance Saver add-on lets you chat for as low as 5¢/min. All long distance calls use anytime minutes.

I am travelling to Taiwan in 2 days, but I have an important phone interview I need to take from  Canada. If I add the international  long distance saver, will I able to receive the calls from the employer in Taiwan?

Note: I have the Asus phone.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Calls made from Canada to Taiwan will cost $0.10/min with the International Long Distance Saver add-on and $0.50/min without.
Do remember that this will still draw from your monthly minutes so if you don't have many and/or it will be a lengthy call you may want to take it in the evening or during the weekend.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You don't even have to add it to receive calls. It won't change anything for receiving. If you receive it during daytime minutes frame and you don't have an unlimited minutes plan, it will use up minutes. If you receive the call during unlimited call times, you won't use up anything.
Userlevel 7
So if I understand, you will be in Taiwan when the call comes in.

You'll need to add a roaming package you your plan the day you leave for Taiwan. The international roaming add-ons are available in self serve .

Unfortunately because Koodo doesn't own the towers you'll be roaming on, they can't guarantee you'll get service in other countries. But without the package, you won't get service period.

When you arrive in Taiwan make sure you turn your phone off and then turn it back on. This will allow the phone to search for a local carrier.

The long distance saver is for calls made from Canada to other countries so that's not what you need.

Hope this helps. Hope I understood
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

You'll need to add a roaming...

You will also need to make sure that you have the free International Voice Roaming add on activated on your account. This would be required in order to allow your phone to connect to the network in Taiwan.
Userlevel 3
Chad Burr wrote:

The wording is a bit difficult to understand. From what I understand, she will be travelling to Taiwan in a couple days however first her employer will be calling her for an interview while she is in Canada. Therefore, she only needs to make sure she has  enough minutes to take the call as per Goran and Allan mentioned
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

If I add the international long distance saver, will I able to receive the calls from the employer in Taiwan?

That's what made me think there will be a roaming call
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Me too.
OP mentioned "I am travelling to Taiwan in 2 days," 
Chad Burr wrote:

My apology for miswording.

I was saying will I able to receive the calls of the employers from Canada while I am staying in Taiwan?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Ah gotcha. In thatrt case it is as Chad said. Now, another option, depending on how long the calls will be that you need to receive, is to get a local prepaid sim for data and use a VoIP service such as Fongo to get a Canadian number that you can receive phone calls from without charge beyond the data needed to operate it.

For future reference also, (not a big deal!) it would be more helpful if there is troubleshooting to do or something by you giving the actual model of your phone instead of just the company that makes it.

Best of luck! 🙂
Userlevel 6
Chad Burr wrote:

Agreed with Goran. However going to Taiwan, this may require the Fongo World app, which costs a few bucks (and you can't buy it from Google Play store while you're in Canada, and you can't create an account in Fongo World outside of the app).
Worst case scenario you get a free number from Fongo before your trip, then when you're in Taiwan, buy Fongo World app, then have Fongo number forward to Fongo World number. Then you'll receive the calls through the app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Am I missing something on their coverage page? It says you can make calls anywhere in the world without specifying Fongo World.
Userlevel 6
Chad Burr wrote:

@Goran: Fongo lets you buy air-time to make overseas calls. However, they allow the app to work when using a Canadian IP address. Overseas, it's not guaranteed that it'll work (hence the Fongo World app). I've tried to use the app overseas and it didn't work. Sadly, I didn't try using it with a VPN (which might get it working).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

And all those folks who already have the OP phone number will know to call the new Fongo number?  Likely not, so let's keep the conversation to answering her intial question - call callers reach her at her number while she travels to Taiwan?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

By contacting them saying she has a new number? That was also answered, so it was provided as another option. Whichever ends up working better for her, but the info's there.
Chad Burr wrote:

I have a 40$ plan with unlimited calls/texts. Can I receive calls in UK ? Do I have to add any apps? Thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

If you add easy roam to your account you can use ask the features of your regular plan in the UK for an extra $10 a day. Otherwise, you need to add the international voice roaming add on, which will allow you to use your phone at the pay per use roaming rates. For the UK, these are $1.50/minute for voice and $0.60 per outgoing text message. Incoming text messages are free. You can find more details here: https://www.koodomobile.com/easyroam?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_TravelAndRoaming
Chad Burr wrote:

I am Canadian in UK. I have koodo plan from Canada that is unlimited calls/texts. My phone plan is with koodo. If I have unlimited wouldnt I be able to receive calls for free under that plan?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

I assumed that, since you were asking on the koodo forum and your previous post said you have unlimited calls and texts. See my previous response. All the answers to the questions you asked are there.
Chad Burr wrote:

OK.. I am not that tech savvy sorry lol. So if I add easy roam i can receive a call from Canada and Easy Roam will charge $10 for that day only right? Then if i get a call on another day it will charge another $10 for that day? ( I'm thinking it doesnt just charge $10 for every day regardless of whether i receive a call?)  From the link you gave thats what I get from it...am I missing anything?
Chad Burr wrote:

ps  is there anything else that would need to be added  as well as easy roam?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

It works for 24 hours after it kicks in. Easy roam should automatically add international voice roaming and international data roaming if you enable easy roam. If it doesn't then you can go into self-serve add-ons and add it manually. If you plan on using it a lot you can instead get a local sim card and use the data for a voip App. Fongo, text now, and others give you a Canadian number for free. You can get Vodafone's pay as you go 1, which gives you unlimited talk, text, and 500mb per day for 1 pound. Or you can pick any bigger data plan. It quickly becomes much cheaper than easy roam and is easy to do even if you arentctech savvy.
Chad Burr wrote:

Easy Roam CAN be added to prepaid?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

No it cannot.
Prepaid does have a selection of US boosters though that you can use while travelling in the US.