Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can i change GSM bands to HSDPA

So im buying a new phone but it doesnt support HSDPA frequency Can i root this phone and install a custom rom to change the radio >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://www.eforchina.com/view/173740/S9500-Black--Android-4.2.1-Version--GPS---AGPS--CPU-Chip--MTK6589-1.2GHz-Quad-Core--RAM--1GB--ROM--4GB--5.0-inch-Capacitive-Touch-Screen-Mobile-Phone-with-WIFI---Bluetooth---FM-Function--Dual-SIM-Cards-Dual-Standby-Dual-Cameras--WCDMA-%26-GSM-Network--Band--WCDMA---2100MHz--Band--GSM---850-900-1800-1900MHz.htM<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< THATS THE PHONE IM GETTING

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I don't think so Ammon, you can't change the frequencies I'm pretty sure... at least I have never heard of it!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

I don't think so Ammon, you can't change the frequencies I'm pretty sure... at least I have never...

Sophia is correct you can not change the frequencies the phone uses. If you plan on using Koodo as your provider I suggest not getting the phone your looking at because it will not work with Koodo and there's no way to make it work with Koodo, you need to buy a compatible device.
Userlevel 1
Sophia wrote:

I don't think so Ammon, you can't change the frequencies I'm pretty sure... at least I have never...

Indeed Paul, no one can change frequencies on phones, Only Koodo compatible phones and Frequencies (850/900MHZ) and phones from Bell/Fido/Rogers/Telus and Virgin phones will work with Koodo Network. However phones from Mobilicity/Videotron/Wind mobile (900/2100 MHZ) are not compatible with Koodo Network, This site will allow to check phone compatibility http://koodomobile.com/en/on/phonecompatibility.shtml
Your better off getting a phone that supports the HSPA network. Your phone is designed to operate on the GSM network even if you could change the frequencies manually there would be issues.
But what about people who buy Koodo Telus Rogers ETC........ phone such as the note 2 and modify it to work with wind
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ammon Ali wrote:

But what about people who buy Koodo Telus Rogers ETC........ phone such as the note 2 and modify ...

Your not modifying frequency bands, those have to be compatible. They are unlocking the phone from the carrier it's locked to so it can be used on other carriers, the frequencies still have to match when purchased because they can't be changed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
These are the frequencies of the different carriers, Koodo uses 850/1900

So if i have a phone with WCDMA 850/1900 it works with Koodo 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ammon Ali wrote:

So if i have a phone with WCDMA 850/1900 it works with Koodo :)

Only if it's a Koodo phone because you can't unlock CDMA devices, they only work on the provider they are purchased from originally.