Koodo Community

Community

Solved

can i buy a plan phone and use it with prepaid?

im looking at getting a moto g play and i only have prepaid is there a way i could go to the koodo booth and buying the phone and using it with my prepaid sim?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can buy it outright to use yes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yep just make sure you bring enough money to pay for the whole value of the phone as there is no subsidy for buying a phone to go prepaid. Best of luck. Also shop around online you may find what your looking for a little cheaper if u are willing to go used or refurbished.
thanks for the quick responses guys thanks ! 😃
jeremy lapointe wrote:

thanks for the quick responses guys thanks ! 😃

which one did you choose? are you in Toronto
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Some places may not sell you the phone outright. You can theoretically buy it on a plan for a minimum of 90 days and then switch to prepaid. Details are in the fine print on the Koodo Moto G page.

Means you have to qualify for credit check then switch over and buy a new SIM. Depending on your usage pattern, this may be a lot of work to save just a few bucks.

BobTheElectrician wrote:

Some places may not sell you the phone outright. You can theoretically buy it on a plan for a min...

is there anywhere else i could buy a unlocked moto g play besides with a carrier that will put me on contract?..

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Some places may not sell you the phone outright. You can theoretically buy it on a plan for a min...

Moto has often been poor at independent retailing. Even Amazon and eBay (both Canada and US) give poor results.
BobTheElectrician wrote:

what cheap android phone would you recommend ?
Userlevel 3
BobTheElectrician wrote:

It's hard to recommend a phone depending on the consumers wants and needs. I'd recommend going to a retail store and try a couple of them to see what you like preferably.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I haven't checked if they have new device Jeremy but I know Staples sells Motorola devices outright as well as other brand of unlocked phones so you could check them out.
Userlevel 6
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

I haven't checked if they have new device Jeremy but I know Staples sells Motorola devices outrig...

Costco also sells some unlocked phones (you need a membership, and some of them are only available online).
Userlevel 6
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

I haven't checked if they have new device Jeremy but I know Staples sells Motorola devices outrig...

For anyone who is still looking for a Moto G4 Play, try Staples (online only).