Koodo Community

Community

Can I buy a phone online from koodo for a family member and use it with Telus?

Hello - Can I buy a phone online with Koodo (as they have some great offers) for a family member and then have them use this phone with Telus?  I don't want to change my phone or plan currently. 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
yes you can. All Koodo cares about is that you pay the phone. What you do with it is up to you. You won't even have to unlock it if it's to be used on TELUS as well
really?  I was wondering about that as well (if it would need to be unlocked).....That's great news! 

So when I order it online, I just order it as an upgrade, but my plan will remain the same?  (as I won't go into self serve to make any changes)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ns wrote:

really?  I was wondering about that as well (if it would need to be unlocked).....That'...

ns - while Goran is correct, do keep in mind that you can't purchase a phone outright from Koodo and will need to purchase it on a Tab (S, M, or L). So you will be paying that tab amount as an added charge on your bill for the next 24 months (amount will be dependent on the tab size).

Your question about keeping your rate plan will also be dependent on this - i.e. depending on the tab type you take, there are minimum monthly spend requirements. Take a look at the rate plan page on our website to see the requirements for your region. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ns wrote:

really?  I was wondering about that as well (if it would need to be unlocked).....That'...

I think you can buy outright, if you are an existing customer.  I got this far.  Didnt want to go farther since i was just testing

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ns wrote:

My bad, Dennis. You are correct. Confused it with non-customers.
ns wrote:

Yes, I understand that I will continue to pay it off for the next 24 months -was looking at the TAB small.  So the minimum for tab small is $28?
Still good news!  And that it wouldn't be locked on Telus since I am buying it at Koodo.
Userlevel 6
ns wrote:

@ns: It would be locked to Telus/Koodo. Would work on either carrier, as well as Public Mobile. Would require unlocking in order to use on Bell/Rogers or anything else.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ns wrote:

Instead of buying the phone outright I would suggest getting it on a tab (Tabs are generally cheaper) and then paying the phone off by going to your tab balance and clicking "Pay my tab"
Userlevel 6
ns wrote:

@Allan: this requires a 90 day commitment, otherwise Koodo claws back the tab discounts. 90 days service on the cheapest plan is 28*3=84 plus tax (88.20 tax-in on an Alberta number). Should factor that in if a customer is planning on acquiring a phone on subsidy with Koodo yet has no interest in using the service.