Koodo Community
Question

Can any phone from Koodo be purchased unlocked and without any plan?

I would like to buy Samsung Galaxy S3 from Koodo. Can it be purchased unlocked and without any plans?

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
no. the only unlocked phone koodo sells is the Nexus 4, which does not come in a locked version, no matter where you buy it from.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If your planning to use it on Telus it may already be able to be used on Telus without the need to be unlocked.
Koodo will not sell phones outright either. They have to be put onto a plan. Exception is prepaid but with the higher end smartphones, some stores will activate in at the store to make sure they are activated
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo will not sell phones outright either. They have to be put onto a plan. Exception is prepaid...doesn't really matter when all you need to do is switch the SIM Card
Userlevel 5
Koodo will not sell phones outright either. They have to be put onto a plan. Exception is prepaid...Paul, we cant just switch the sim cards because Koodo does not sell phones unlocked (except the Nexus 4)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo will not sell phones outright either. They have to be put onto a plan. Exception is prepaid...That's not what I'm saying Erwin. I obviously know Koodo doesn't sell unlocked phones other than the Nexus I do have a website devoted to Android, I am a Mobile Master and I have beat the badge game in the forum and have the most points on here. . Thanks I'm saying it's easy for anyone to buy a high end phone from Koodo and even if Koodo activates it like Steven said the persona can take the phone home and unlock it and slip in their sim from any other provider.
Userlevel 6
Koodo will not sell phones outright either. They have to be put onto a plan. Exception is prepaid...@Steven: I have bought a couple of Koodo phones outright, either at the local kiosk or FutureShop. They don't "have" to be put on a plan. I was also never asked if I was already a customer, it was basically buy, pay, leave.
Userlevel 1
Koodo will not sell phones outright either. They have to be put onto a plan. Exception is prepaid...Sounds like those reps went around the system. Anytime I have called and asked a retailer/kiosk if a purchased phone needs to be on a plan, they have stated yes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo will not sell phones outright either. They have to be put onto a plan. Exception is prepaid...Adam, with all respect to Kiosk and retailer reps (some of the very best answers in these forums come from them), we who participate here have also noticed that there are quite a number of reps whose information is not 100% accurate. If there are discrepancies, I'd trust the answers in these forums before trusting the one rep in the one store... if for no other reason than that when one of us is wrong, you bet your boots we get corrected quickly 😃
Koodo will not sell phones outright either. They have to be put onto a plan. Exception is prepaid...you can buy a phone without a rate plan online if you don't buy with a tab
Userlevel 7
The answer is yes and no. There's a $35 admin fee for an outright purchase because our employees make absolutely $0 in commission on this kind of sale and it doesn't count as a tick in our records, there's shipping charges to get the products in our stores, and the carriers do not compensate our company because there's no plan attached. We need to make money somewhere. Some phones we are simply not allowed to do outright, but you can do MTM activation if you want. List includes, but is not limited to: S III, S 4, Note II, original Note, HTC One, One X + and One X, Q10, Z10, Xperia T, Xperia ZL, Optimus G, Nexus 4, and all iPhones. You're better off just activating it on the $25 Talk + Text and then canceling after the first month.
The answer is yes and no. There's a $35 admin fee for an outright purchase because our employe...I don't know if you work in a kiosk but thats not 100% true. yes I was going to respond and say that you can't buy the higher end phones out right, but the cheaper phones you can, We do make commission off the sale of any handset but Koodo has raised the prices on a few of the phones when buying them prepaid or outright because people just buy them to unlock them. ex.. the ace ii x on the tab is $150 on tab or monthly plan and $200 outright.
Userlevel 2
The answer is yes and no. There's a $35 admin fee for an outright purchase because our employe...Hey Vanessa, Jonathan does work at The Mobile Shop(I don't remember where exactly), so things most likely work a bit differently since it's not a direct Koodo shop. All phones can be purchased outright but through a Koodo shop, it must be on a plan(as previously mentioned by me 8 days ago, confirmed by management).
The answer is yes and no. There's a $35 admin fee for an outright purchase because our employe...Not all phones can be purchased out right just the lower end phones. At the Kiosk you can't buy the higher end phones like the s3 & s4 or the z10 & q10. Oh and IPhone 5. Other then that you can buy the rest out right or on prepaid but they have raised the price on some of them by $50 for outright sales because alot of people buy them to unlock them. I wasn't saying John was wrong just adding how it works at the Kiosk. 🙂
Another idea you might want to try is to purchase a very basic plan and you can then unlock your phone through the selfserve system at a cost of $50. To do this, you log in to selfserve. Click on the "mobile phone" tab and you will see a tab saying "unlock phone". After you have successfully unlocked the phone, you will have to cancel your plan and pay off the rest of the cost of the phone. I think that's the only other way to do it. Hope that helps!
Userlevel 2
Hey folks, so I looked into this particular question and here's what I was informed. The phone must be purchased with a rate plan. This would apply to any Koodo Kiosk. That being said, some retailers may opt to allow the phone to be purchased outright without a plan. This is entirely dependant on the retailer though. I hope this clears it up for everyone 🙂. ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
Am I missing something? Why can't he just order the s3 online from the prepaid section and bypass any kiosk and plans? Of course it'll be locked and he'll need to buy an unlock code somewhere online, but buying the s3 online is the hassle free way to go.
Userlevel 5
Am I missing something? Why can't he just order the s3 online from the prepaid section and bypas...This would work. Technically it's still being purchased with a (prepaid) plan.
Am I missing something? Why can't he just order the s3 online from the prepaid section and bypas...Heh true, but you don't need to activate a prepaid plan or anything. I bought a galaxy ace 2x last dec online from koodoo and use it on telus. Phone shipped from calgary and I got it in like 2 days. I bought it from koodo because it was $150, while telus wanted $250 for the same phone.
Userlevel 1
Am I missing something? Why can't he just order the s3 online from the prepaid section and bypas...Oh man. Not sure how I feel about this. 😕. I'm not saying you owe anything to Koodo and have to sign up if you want to buy a phone from them, but this feels a little like a loophole to screw Koodo over a bit. I know you're buying the phone outright, but I guess the expectation is to get a plan so you can benefit from cheap phones (and plans). But yeah.. technically you're not doing anything illegal/wrong. If only they sold their phones outright.... but then again, it is about curstomer retention, too.
Userlevel 6
Am I missing something? Why can't he just order the s3 online from the prepaid section and bypas...Mo, I don't mean to disagree, but "screw Koodo over a bit"...??? I think Bob Smith did his homework as a customer to avoid being screwed over *himself*. Koodo chose to sell the A2X at $150 vs Telus' $250. We're not kidding ourselves here, who would pay $100 more for the exact same thing, which doesn't even require unlocking on top of that? The real shame here is Telus who tries to squeeze even more from outright phone sales.
Userlevel 1
Am I missing something? Why can't he just order the s3 online from the prepaid section and bypas...Oh no I agree with you on anything about Robellus. And I concede that Bob did his homework. I just feel that the expectation is to benefit from the low phone prices, one ought to maybe grace Koodo with at least a few months of service. Again, that's just my own opinion... I am overly meek almost 95% of the time. And I'm glad we disagree... and are both disagreeing politely. 🙂. It gives me stuff to think about.. which is a good thing 🙂
Am I missing something? Why can't he just order the s3 online from the prepaid section and bypas...Well I never really saw a problem with it. To me a phone price is subsidized when you have to be locked into a contract. If the phone is sold outright, then you should be able to use it on any carrier you want. Plus in the end isn't koodo just a subsidiary of telus anyways? 😛
Userlevel 1
Am I missing something? Why can't he just order the s3 online from the prepaid section and bypas...True. And yes it is... However, customers get less screwed here than with the Big3, which is all I care about. I don't mind them making money off of us through spin-off companies, as long as we aren't being screwed for basic telephone service.
Userlevel 6
Am I missing something? Why can't he just order the s3 online from the prepaid section and bypas...Mo: I don't exactly agree with you 100% that the customer *should* grace Koodo of his business, but we WILL agree on this though: once said customer compares plans, he WILL end up getting a Koodo plan :oP