Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can a Smart Phone from Overseas be used in Koodo with the unlocking option?

I wanted to ask you a question about unlocking phones. I am currently overseas and I got the chance to buy a used Galaxy S4 LTE - A and I have noticed that Koodo offers a lovely unlocking phone option for 35 bucks. The question is, can a phone from overseas be unlcoked to be used in Canada? It's the same S4 but a slightly different version.. Also, would there be an additional charges in switching to a different smartphones? or would it be the common: paying the current month's bill, fresh new start with the unlocked phone with a new plan? Lastly, does Koodo still offer the option for customers to give back their used Koodo phones in exchange of Tabs? A lot of questions, but thanks for your time. I have been enjoying Koodo providing these useful options such as the Seasonal Month Payment and the structured plans for logical reasons. Thank You !

4 replies

Userlevel 6
1. Yes. Most phone will now work on Koodo's network as long as phone uses 850mhz /1900mhz & band 4 1700mhz for LTE. 2. No extra charge for switching phones. If you have any outstanding tab you will just continue to pay it off with your new phone. Or you can just pay it off altogether and get an extra 10% off your plan. 3. You can trade a phone in but you only get money (not tab) if you buy another phone from them.
Chris Petersens wrote:

1. Yes. Most phone will now work on Koodo's network as long as phone uses 850mhz /1900mhz & band ...

thank you for your answer!! just one more thing would koodo mind if the phone is completely different unlike the S4 such as the LG G2 and so on?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chris Petersens wrote:

1. Yes. Most phone will now work on Koodo's network as long as phone uses 850mhz /1900mhz & band ...

I wouldn't think it will cause any problem
Userlevel 6
Chris Petersens wrote:

As per Robert Koodo wouldn't give a hoot what phone you are using. Just bear in mind if you have technical issues likely you would have to try to solve them yourself if it's related to your phone.