Koodo Community
Solved

Can a deactivated prepaid SIM card be reactivated?

• 19 November 2019
  • 8 replies

Hi! My mom was recently visiting Canada so I got her a $20 data-only Koodo plan on a prepaid SIM. She was only visiting for a few days from another country. Now I want to deactivate the SIM I bought her since she has left. Does anyone know how to do that? Is it possible to reactivate the same SIM when she visits again, since she visits annually and I don’t want to go through the trouble of getting a new SIM with a new number each time.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Mayumi 19 November 2019, 19:26

Thanks a lot for your reply! So unfortunately she will have a new number every year that she visits? The same number cannot be used again if its deactivated and not reactivated within 90 days?

Once your prepaid account is expired, then you need to get a new SIM and activate again.  If no one picked up your old number, then you might be able to get same number.  But, chances are slim(or you never know.

If you really want to keep same number, then there is a way. But it cost you some money.

Activate prepaid account and get a number. It is good for 30days.  Then after your mom left, don’t add money on her account. It will be deactivated for 90 days if you don’t renew your account.  

Add $15 (cheapest back plan)to reactivate her account before it expires even tho your mom won’t be using it. It will be good for another 30days. Then not adding funds for another 90days.  Add funds before expires... 

Repeat until your moms return.   I don’t think it’s worth to spend money like that. It depends on how many months she will be away.  But you can keep the same number this way. 

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It can be used again but only on the same account and within 90 days so it wont unfortunately be able to be used next year it will be unusable if not reactivated within the 90 days after being deactivated .

Thanks a lot for your reply! So unfortunately she will have a new number every year that she visits? The same number cannot be used again if its deactivated and not reactivated within 90 days?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Once your prepaid account is expired, then you need to get a new SIM and activate again.  If no one picked up your old number, then you might be able to get same number.  But, chances are slim(or you never know.

If you really want to keep same number, then there is a way. But it cost you some money.

Activate prepaid account and get a number. It is good for 30days.  Then after your mom left, don’t add money on her account. It will be deactivated for 90 days if you don’t renew your account.  

Add $15 (cheapest back plan)to reactivate her account before it expires even tho your mom won’t be using it. It will be good for another 30days. Then not adding funds for another 90days.  Add funds before expires... 

Repeat until your moms return.   I don’t think it’s worth to spend money like that. It depends on how many months she will be away.  But you can keep the same number this way. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

In fact Koodo prepaid is probably the least suitable option for a yearly visit. I haven’t priced the other prepaid providers lately, but most allow the sim to be dormant for 360 days before a top up is required, as long as it is a certain amount (I believe 7-11 is only $25/year). 

Koodo, as Mayumi and others pointed out, requires a top up at least every 90 days and the minimum is $15 each time. I’d buy her a Speakout sim and then activate a data add-on when your mom visits… to use up the $25 top up :)

Userlevel 6

Sophia, can she just port her Mothers number over to Speakout ? Your solution seems to be the best solution all around for her.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes for sure, but the plan would have to be active for the port :)

Thanks for the help everyone! Really appreciate it 🙂 I guess I will just get a new sim from another service provider (possibly Speakout as Sophia suggested) and let the current one be deactivated..  hopefully I am able to keep the same number. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you want to keep THIS number (the Koodo one), you will need to port it to your new provider before the plan runs out.

If your mom is good with a new number, just get the new sim from your new provider. Then as long as you don’t let that one expire (top up $25 before the 365 days are up), you will keep the number “forever” :)