Koodo Community

Calls going to VM Fixed

Userlevel 2

Thanks KOODO but no thanks for changing the way I get my calls from US and International you could have sent an email about the changes, that if I wanted to receive Calls from outside of CANADA I NEEDED a (Long Distance Talk Booster).

I hope thi is the last time they make changes I am getting too old to keep up with this sh**t.

:( 

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thanks for reporting back on what was becoming a discouraging thread after all the normal, logical solutions were investigated and discarded as useless.

Does that logically mean than anyone on a province-wide calling plan needs Canada-wide minutes to [i]receive a call from outside their home province? That would be a new low, even for Canadian telecoms.

Someone should clarify or fix this pronto before the exit door starts slamming too many people in the behind.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Wait a second - is this confirmed? To RECEIVE calls you need an international booster? That doesn't make sense at all.... that would be a first (and new low) for Canadian telecom for sure!

Are you sure it's not just for international OUTGOING calls that you need this new booster?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Wait a second - is this confirmed? To RECEIVE calls you need an international booster? That doesn...See, looking at this page https://www.koodomobile.com/help/long-distance-travel-and-roaming-prepaid it says nothing there about incoming calls. It only talks about making calls. I'll take this up with our liaison at Koodo HQ because something seems really weird here...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Wait a second - is this confirmed? To RECEIVE calls you need an international booster? That doesn...Not the first time this has been mentioned. The following thread died with no real answer:

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/prepaid-receiving-international-calls-blocked-without...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Wait a second - is this confirmed? To RECEIVE calls you need an international booster? That doesn...That's why I am going to ask, the first time I was convinced a mistake was made, but it's popping up again now. We'll soon know the answer once and for all - and I hope it's a logical one!
Userlevel 2
Wait a second - is this confirmed? To RECEIVE calls you need an international booster? That doesn...Glad to ear that this is news to some, I also was shocked when he told me and gave me 300 minutes to try to see if I would get calls from Amazon and Google.

Guess what it worked Amazon and Google  calls came directly to my phone not to voicemail.

This was a shocker to me too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No definitive answer yet - stay tuned. Koodo seems as confused as we are 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
As posted in another thread:

Well, we got our answer. Apparently the text in self service is a mistake (it will be updated), so incoming calls do need an international booster as well. This also means that it now costs 10ct/ minute to receive international calls even from across the border, and it's no longer possible to receive calls from unsupported countries at all.

I have never heard anything so crazy (as far as I know this an unprecedented move of international telecom), but there we have it.
Userlevel 2
Thanks for the update, been very happy with Koodo and they were generous on crediting me for my expenses with another cell provider.

BUT as soon I use up all my credits and bonus data that I purchase when it was on sale, will be looking for a better prepaid provider if it will exist at that time.

This is the stupidest thing that I ever heard I guess they don't want to keep any foreigners or new immigrants using Koodo.

Userlevel 2
Seriously? I guess that's why I've had calls going straight to voicemail after never hearing the phone ring. I've been with Koodo Prepaid since day 1 and have been happy but this might be a reason to move services 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Seriously? I guess that's why I've had calls going straight to voicemail after never hearing the ...Was this an international incoming call and do you have a regular booster active?
Userlevel 2
Seriously? I guess that's why I've had calls going straight to voicemail after never hearing the ...Yes, it was from the US and I didn't know I needed an International booster to receive calls. I usually don't make outgoing international calls from my cell phone so I never thought to add a booster for that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Seriously? I guess that's why I've had calls going straight to voicemail after never hearing the ...I can only advise to complain to the CRTC... I don't think this is right at all. All incoming calls should come off your regular booster, not the international one.
Badge +4
Seriously? I guess that's why I've had calls going straight to voicemail after never hearing the ...In the note under boosters it says

Note: If you’re on a base plan that does not include minutes, you’ll require a Long Distance Talk Booster add-on to receive international calls.

Not good 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Seriously? I guess that's why I've had calls going straight to voicemail after never hearing the ...Yes, it is good that they finally changed the text. It gives you a concrete piece of evidence to base your complaint upon
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Seriously? I guess that's why I've had calls going straight to voicemail after never hearing the ...The cell industry is just a numbers game. Conveniently, when there is just such a change, Koodo sent out a text saying those under the older system can keep their US & international privileges until the older boosters run out. Not much of a chance for a CRTC complaint to be won, unless it would be a question of insufficient notice.

Koodo's big selling point for many way back when was Canada-wide minutes... not having to futz with long distance. Will be curious to see if other suppliers follow suit since Koodo seems determined to make this stick.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Seriously? I guess that's why I've had calls going straight to voicemail after never hearing the ...I respectfully disagree with you here, Bob. You mentioned it before in another thread, this is a first in Canada - if not worldwide. Yes Koodo is determined to make this stick, because after pointing it out to them, rather than changing the concept, they changed the description on their website. Also their absence in this and similar threads is very telling.

Another problem as I see it is that unfortunately, Koodo Prepaid is a niche product, and even less prepaid customers will be receiving international calls. If complaints to the CRTC are solved by sheer numbers, than we can forget it altogether.

However, that does not mean that complaining to the CRTC has not chance to be won, for the simple reason that this IS a first. I said it before, if you search the Internet, any company, any thread, any question, is answered with the same (logical) reply: "International incoming calls are not charged an international fee".

In my opinion, mentioning this to the CRTC will be useful indeed, to bring this to their attention. Whether anything will be done is a whole different question, of course. I would imagine (hope) that Koodo has thoroughly thought this change through, including all the implications.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Seriously? I guess that's why I've had calls going straight to voicemail after never hearing the ...I wasn't suggesting we not complain. My point is just that from a strictly bureaucratic/legal point of view they've probably done the CYA thing.

If you check the CRTC site, other than roaming, there's nothing obigating incoming calls to be at any particular rate.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Reposted from another thread:

Well, all is clear now. Here's a summary of what the rules are on incoming international calls:

• If you have a prepaid plan with unlimited minutes, all incoming calls (domestic, international or otherwise) will be included in your plan, no booster needed.
  • If your plan does not include minutes, you need a booster for incoming. If you have a either a Canada Wide or Long Distance booster, all incoming calls (again, international or otherwise) will be taken from the Canada Wide booster.
  • If you only have a Long Distance booster, all incoming calls (yep, international as well as domestic) will be taken from that as a "last resort".
Personally I think that is the best of all worlds, and I'd like to thank Koodo for reconsidering their previous decision!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Reposted from another thread:

Well, all is clear now. Here's a summary of what the rules are on ...
Special thanks to Sophia for bringing the issue to the folks upstairs.

Also goes to show that we are not entirely wasting our time here. When several people such as jcsousa can intelligently expose and discuss an issue without just going ballistic or all personal, the group can influence how things are done.

Of course, some folks probably needlessly purchased long distance boosters that will now last till forever.