Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Call quality problems

Userlevel 1
I'm having several call quality problems with my android phones from Koodo. First, with my Nexus S, and then they remained the same with my Galaxy S2X (the phone they offered me to switch to, trying to eradicate the problems). People very often complain about how I sound on the phone (saying the call quality is awful), and I often lose contact for several seconds and then it comes back when I move around. It happens at different places (home, work, gym, etc.) since several months. The network has been reseted by a representative, and I changed the sim card twice. That being said, nothing has changed. Did that happen to any of you? What should I do? Thanks! Thomas, Quebec city.

18 replies

Sounds like a coverage issue, did you ever use a non android device and have a different experience with your call quality?
Userlevel 7
Is there any chance you talk to these people on speaker? The speaker phone on the s2x is horrible. Try using the wired headset that came with it or better yet a quality bluetooth headset like the plantronics voyager legend. You'll never hold the phone to your head and feel comfortable again and your friends won't complain.
Userlevel 1
@PZABOY : I did use a non-android device a couple of years ago when I was living in another city. I don't remember having such problems back then, but I wasn't using my phone as often as I am now. I've been using android since approximatively 2 years by now. @Chad Burr : I'm quite sure I'm not using the speaker; I did actually remember using it once and it was indeed horrible. I've never used bluetooth headsets, I may should try that. But, I would like to figure out what's going on with my coverage/call quality; I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near normal for it to be that bad.
Tomislav wrote:

@PZABOY : I did use a non-android device a couple of years ago when I was living in anothe...

If it comes down to a coverage issue and you want to stick with koodo (which i would) i suggest grabbing a signal booster, as long as you get 1 bar of service the signal booster can drastically increase your coverage. Not sure if it is something your interested in, you can grab them at a store such as the source but it would be a lot cheaper online.
Userlevel 1
Tomislav wrote:

@PZABOY : I did use a non-android device a couple of years ago when I was living in anothe...

How does that work? Is it something you install in the phone?
Userlevel 1
Tomislav wrote:

Which cellphone do you use?
Userlevel 7
Tomislav wrote:

It basically amplifies and repeats available cell services. Cost may be 150 - 250$. Wilson makes a good one
Userlevel 1
Should I consider switching phones (again)?
Userlevel 1
Since I'm on the 39$ canada-wide plan, which is also available at Fido. I maybe should unlock the phone and try out Fido's network. The signal/coverage just couldn't be as bad as Koodo's.
Userlevel 7
Try the blue tooth first
Userlevel 1
Chad Burr wrote:

Try the blue tooth first

I would require a bluetooth device to make/receive calls?! And how could a bluetooth enhance the network's signal strength?
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Try the blue tooth first

Your original complaint was sound quality no?
Userlevel 1
Chad Burr wrote:

Try the blue tooth first

Hmmm. "People very often complain about how I sound on the phone (saying the call quality is awful), and I often lose contact for several seconds and then it comes back when I move around. It happens at different places (home, work, gym, etc.) since several months."
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Try the blue tooth first

Im trying to help you my friend. Im suggesting you try a bluetooth headset or even a wired one. This would keep the phone away from your head and have more surface area. You're free to unlock it if you want to. Try the fido sim see if the coverage is any better. Check the coverage map and see if there are weak spots in your area. Maybe call in and talk to tech support perhaps a tower is down or malfunctioning.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Try the blue tooth first

Tomislave, the Bluetooth/wired headset isn't meant to be a permanent solution. It's just troubleshooting to determine if perhaps your microphone is faulty (a cheap fix on most phones).
Thomas, si tu veux mon avis (je me fonde sur mon expérience avec K), il n'y a rien à faire concernant la qualité du signal. K est un service peu cher et on en a pour notre argent...
Userlevel 1
tannante wrote:

Thomas, si tu veux mon avis (je me fonde sur mon expérience avec K), il n'y a rien à faire concer...

Not, true, I disagree with you Helene, Koodo is using same network as Telus, I wonder if Tomislav can confirm that it happens also on other customers Koodo phone in his area?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Do you have any friends on Koodo? Alternatively. do you have any friends with compatible unlocked phones? If you do, I strongly recommend asking to try your SIM card in their phones. Make a few test calls. It'll help determine whether it's the phone or the network.