Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Buying a Nexus 5 from Koodo for use on other networks

I am looking at buying a Nexus 5 from Koodo, as the Google store is currently out of stock on the phone. Am I able to purchase the phone and use it on another network? I know the phone is already unlocked however can I purchase it from the online store without a rate plan attached. How will that work?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Only if you have an account with Koodo.
Dennis wrote:

Only if you have an account with Koodo.

Interesting, I've gone through the online purchasing process and have gotten to the order confirmation step without being required to select a rate plan, at what point will it stop me if I don't have an account? Unfortunately I have 4 months left on a contract with another company and was hoping to be able to use the phone with that carrier (I currently have a semi functioning iphone 4) until I can switch.
Userlevel 3
I don't think the phone comes unlocked from Koodo. As for how that would work, I believe you would still end up having to pay for 1 month of Koodo service.
Userlevel 6
Hi Ritzy, Yes the Nexus 5 is unlocked. You will need an account with Koodomobile to purchase anything from the online store. If you come in to a Koodo store, you will have to purchase the phone as "Prepaid" and it will cost $450. Otherwise, if you plan on switching carriers, it will be $0 on Tab Medium, No fixed 2 year contract.
Userlevel 7
B-Worrall, to clarify, Nexus devices are always sold unlocked.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Unfortunately that's not quite true anymore as the Nexus 6 sold by at least one carrier comes locked to the carrier and that AT&T with other future carriers of the device having the option to do so as well. From my understanding all the Canadian carriers have chose to leave the Nexus 6 unlocked that are presently offering it.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

:-X
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

I don't understand why they kept the Nexus name if they allowed ATT to lock the phone. :s
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Amazing what manufacturers will for you when you're as large as AT&T http://www.bbin.in/2015/01/heres-exclusive-rounded-corners-blackberry-passport-att/
Userlevel 3
Chad Burr wrote:

Interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification