Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Broke the screen of my Galaxy Core - help?

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Core (model SW-G386W) earlier this year, and have just unfortunately dropped and broken the screen. It is considerably cracked, but as far as I can tell, the actual display is not affected - the buttons still function and it is still receptive to a finger touch. It's only the screen that has been damaged. I bought the phone from a local Koodo kiosk, but have moved to Norway since. As such, I don't know what my options are re: repairing the screen. Could anyone help or provide some insight as to how I would go about repairing (ordering?) a new screen? Thanks in advance!

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Unless you purchased the extended warranty and are still a koodo customer, you're on your own to get the phone fixed.

I'd recommend looking for a local repair shop. Or you could try doing the repair yourself

Parts should be available on eBay. Look for YouTube videos on how to DIY
Chad Burr wrote:

Unless you purchased the extended warranty and are still a koodo customer, you're on your own to...

As far as I know, a broken screen is considered physical damage - would this still be covered by a warranty?
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Unless you purchased the extended warranty and are still a koodo customer, you're on your own to...

The manufacturer warranty no. But if you paid extra for an extended warranty though Koodo AND you are still a koodo customer, there is a replacement available for 49$. It doesn't apply if you've cancelled your service however.
Chad Burr wrote:

.. I cancelled my service. Unfortunate. I've tried to find the repair parts on ebay since I'm not opposed to doing the repair myself, but I can't seem to find any since this isn't a very new or seemingly popular model. I'm clearly really grasping at straws here, but do you know of any other way?
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

You can contact Samsung and ship it to them for repair but honestly the mfgr repair is going to cost about what a new phone would cost.

If you want that phone for sure, you could always ask someone who's in Canada to pickup a used one off kijiji and ship it to you, or a new one
Chad Burr wrote:

I already figured the same re: the first option, and it's inconvenient in even countless other ways. I think the last option is probably my only hope, so I'll resort to that. Thank you very kindly for your help, really. Or as we say in Norway, "tusen takk, and no, we won't repair your Canadian purchase!"
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Hmm it's not that they won't, it's just someone has to pay for it since it's not a covered repair
Chad Burr wrote:

Repair shops outside of Oslo aren't accepting this model, and a Samsung Norway rep. just explained that I'd have to send the device for repair back to Canada, not a Norwegian location. I'd pay even the chilling NOK fee if it meant I wouldn't be without my phone for the time it'd take to make the pilgrimage to Canada and back, but everywhere I've looked says that it's an option.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

There are some great used devices on ebay you might try.
Chad Burr wrote:

That might be the best option in theory, but for someone who's cavalier enough to not have used a protective phone case, I'm uncharacteristically very wary about taking such a leap of faith and buying a phone from a private seller online. That said, I just checked and I might just take a chance with one of the phones that'd cost less (even with shipping) than a repair.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Good luck to you, and as we say in Canada, " Giver" which means go for it.
Chad Burr wrote:

Right, return policies! I'm two for two today.
Chad Burr wrote:

Your willingness to help is so Canadian that it almost makes me homesick. Thanks, really, I appreciate it.