Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Bought new phone in Sept 2014, SIM# being rejected

Userlevel 1
I bought a Moto G in Sept 2014. I am going through the self-serve process to change phones. It asks for the new SIM card number. I have it printed on a 3-page document that I got at the time of sale, entitled "Your agreement". It matches the number on a plastic credit-card sized card that I got from the Koodo rep, with a chip in it. However, the number is being rejected as invalid. I'm hoping that I don't have to spend half a day, likely during the weekend because that's the only time I have any time, negotiating the different ways of trying to reach a real person. Is there anything obvious about my process so far that is wrong? I hope also that I don't have to remove the chip from the card, disassemble my phone, and place the chip into my phone.

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Actually, I just found the pamphlet showing how one inserts the SIM card. Looks like I *do* have to remove it from it's "credit-card". Funny that the number would be considered invalid, though. I mean, it's a valid card. I bought the phone. I will try the microsurgery to insert it tomorrow.
Badge +4
Are you activating the Moto G on prepaid or postpaid? Reason I ask, you may have inadvertently entered the SIM number through the wrong activation site.
Userlevel 1
I was at postpaid, if I'm properly deciphering the URL: https://secure.koodomobile.com/account/selfserve/postpaid/PbigLongNumber?accountId=anotherNumber "bigLongNumber" and "anotherNumber" are numbers above. By the way, what is the best way to pop the SIM card out of the faux credit card? Cut the connect pieces of plastic with an exacto knife? Bend the faux credit card by pushing the center from the back? Sharp bend where the connecting tabs are to stress them? Push at the SIM card (from the back? or the front?)? Thanks. P.S. The pre/post-paid is confusing because it's not clear whether post-paid means you're activating the SIM card post-purchase of the phone, or whether your going to by the phone afterward.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
andymhancock wrote:

I was at postpaid, if I'm properly deciphering the URL: https://secure.koodomobile.com/account/se...

Apply pressure to the non-chip side of the insert. The card will pop out - no cutting required.
Badge +4
andymhancock wrote:

I was at postpaid, if I'm properly deciphering the URL: https://secure.koodomobile.com/account/se...

Andy, if you're trying to activate a prepaid SIM card, the link you visited is for postpaid/monthly customers. If you're a customer who is billed monthly, then you're at the right URL. If not, look at the Self Serve login page near the lower left hand corner, you will see the option to login to to the SelfServe prepaid site. Postpaid refers to a method of billing.
Userlevel 1
@Ivan: Thanks. I'll give it a go once I have this SIM number sorted out @rikkster: Looks like I was at the right site then. I'm a monthly customer, and I never activated the SIM card/number when I bought the new phone last September. It has been over half a year so maybe their system wasn't designed to accommodate such long delays between purchase and activation. I look forward to getting to know their phone system. Thanks!
Userlevel 1
It turns out that the SIM number was reported as stolen or something (or went into dormancy, it was never very clear) due to the long delay in activation. Even the Koodo guy on the phone couldn't activate it. I drove into a mall with a Koodo kiosk, and they exchanged it. They wanted 5 bucks because they recently started charging for new SIM cards even for new phones, but I manage to pursuade them that it wouldn't be fair, since I got the SIM card before they started charging for them, and since they are the ones who put the SIM card into dormancy. Thanks for your help.