Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Bluetooth Tethering--Samsung S7

The Samsung S7 is supposed to come with Bluetooth Tethering.  It should show under Mobile Hotspot & Tethering, but the only options I have is Mobile Hotspot and USB Tethering. Some forums point out that some carriers block this option.  Does anyone know if Koodo has blocked/deleted this?  My new car has internet connectivity through Bluetooth tethering.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
As far as I know, all Bluetooth connectivity is managed through the Bluetooth pairing section. Have you tried that?

The pairing page shows my car paired; you can also see what features are paired, ie call audio, contact sharing and message access, but from what I have read, the Bluetooth Tethering needs to be turned on to pair to the car.  No Bluetooth Tethering option on my phone and it should have it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Corey S wrote:

The pairing page shows my car paired; you can also see what features are paired, ie call audio, c...

No Bluetooth tethering on my S6 edge either.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Corey S wrote:

The pairing page shows my car paired; you can also see what features are paired, ie call audio, c...

Here's a YouTube video showing a multi-step process to get to Bluetooth tethering. I have not yet tested it. https://youtu.be/Msx1Y1LeeLc
Corey S wrote:

Thanks; I watched that video, and that was how I figured out that I didn't have the Bluetooth tethering option.  Will see what Samsung & Koodo have to say about it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Corey S wrote:

Yeah, I didn't have my phone with me when I found the link, and wondered if the tethering option only appeared after linking the devices together, but alas, no.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Corey S wrote:

Also, not sure that Koodo would block Bluetooth tethering, when USB and Wi-fi tethering are available. Bluetooth tethering is available on iPhone.

In the past, some US carriers prohibited tethering of any sort without extra fees. Not sure if they still do, or if this relates to the posts you read referencing such.

Corey S wrote:

I dont where to post this but i dont know ANYTHING about bluetooth dont even know what it is really> Well i want to buy some kind of fitness tracker but they all say u need Bluetooth what is bluetooth do i have it on my phone. I have a monthly plan of free anytime calling. and 2 Gb a month. Can someone please explain this to me. Thanks so much 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Corey S wrote:

If you have a smartphone then you would have Bluetooth built into the phone you'd just need to go to your settings and you should see a setting to turn on Bluetooth. Once turned on and the accessory in this case a watch in pairing mode they will connect and send information back and forth between the two. Bluetooth is just a short range wireless connection.
Corey S wrote:

I have a samsung. So does that mean i dont have bluetooth 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Corey S wrote:

It would have to be an exceedingly old Samsung to not have Bluetooth.

Corey S wrote:

so if i buy a fitbit i just go to the app store and download Bluetooth 
Corey S wrote:

Thank you by the way 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Corey S wrote:

Bluetooth will already be in your phone, as Paul stated. The Fitbit will have instructions as to how to set it up, on both your computer (it has a dongle for your PC) and for your phone. You will also need to create a Fitbit login to get best use of your device.

Have fun with it. It provides lots of information about your healthy activities, and will help you build a fitness plan.

Corey S wrote:

Thank you so much David I really appreciate all the help
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Corey S wrote:

If you have further questions, just start a new topic!
l deb have aneo5and lhav blue tooth ..Loken on app sittings. it should be there.deb?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Deborah Rabisi wrote:

l deb have aneo5and lhav blue tooth ..Loken on app sittings. it should be there.deb?

Deb Bluetooth and Bluetooth tethering are two different things, the Bluetooth your talking about is to connect audio and other peripherals the Bluetooth tethering is to connect something to the phone to use its data connection. Corey what car do you have just curious as I'd love to have this option but my manufacturer only makes data connections available on their US models not any Canadian models?
Deborah Rabisi wrote:

Paul, I have a 2017 Mercedes C43 with the navigation pkg. 
Deborah Rabisi wrote:

Hi. I was wondering if you succeded in making the bluetooth tethering work. I'm in the exact same situation: SM-G930W8 - canadian and a GLK 2015.
Badge +4
From what I've been reading, only the global version S7 (SM- G930F) offers Bluetooth tethering. I can't explain why Bluetooth tethering is missing from an almost identically spec'd Canadian device (SM-G930W8) with the same Exynos 8890 CPU. The S7 (SM- G930F) caters to European and Australian markets.