Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Blocking callers

The question 4 yrs ago was "can you block spam callers?"  In four years technology has changed ten fold. Surely, as a Telus carrier, you've evolved with the times and can provide customers with the ability to block spam callers.  So the question now is, HOW?

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
My samsung device tells me when a call looks suspicious or has been reported as spam.  When that happens, I do not pick up.  If it is important, they will leave a voicemail
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Yvonne,

If you don't have a Samsung, I'm afraid it's impossible because they keep changing their phone number so even tho you can block 1 number, it's impossible to block them all. 
One thing I can tell you, Yvonne, is this: If you receive a call from a number that you no longer wish to receive a call from, you can block that number so that it never interrupts you again. That is, so long as you have caller ID.  Cheers, Frances
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David Nokes wrote:

One thing I can tell you, Yvonne, is this: If you receive a call from a number that you no longer...

All Koodo plans have caller ID so she won'T have a problem with that.
Userlevel 5
Robert wrote:

Hello Yvonne,

If you don't have a Samsung, I'm afraid it's impossible because they keep changing...

I have a samsung S5 neo.  Is there a setting I can use to advise me if a call is suspicious or has been reported as Spam?  Many thanks for a reply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Yvonne,

If you don't have a Samsung, I'm afraid it's impossible because they keep changing...

The Samsung should already have that function in the call display when a suspicious/spam number calls you
David Nokes wrote:

One thing I can tell you, Yvonne, is this: If you receive a call from a number that you no longer...

But how do I go about blocking the number?

David Nokes wrote:

I have caller ID.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David Nokes wrote:

A quick websearch with your phone model, and “block callers” should return stepwise instructions to block wnwanted callers on your phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David Nokes wrote:

Go to your phone app > log > more > Block number
or some similar menu structure
David Nokes wrote:

You don't get calls but they can still leave annoying voicemails. My unwanted calls now come from some idiotic collection agency, I suspect for the guy who used to have my number. There should be a total block option.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David Nokes wrote:

I have had that happen to me before.  I just informed the collection agency that I just got this as a new number and that resolved most of the calls.
Userlevel 6
Hey Yvonne, I use an app called Mr Number Call Blocker. It is available for both iOS and Android. It can automatically block reported scammers and potential fraud callers, and you have an option so the call will just drop and they will not have the option to leave a voicemail. Just a side note, it is a third-party app and it is not officially recommended by Koodo. But based on my experience, it is the app I find that works.
You can use the built-in phone tools and third-party applications to block unwanted calls and SMS. Both options are easy to use and require several minutes of free time. For which method to give preference to is the user’s choice.
I actually don't think the tele communications companies do enough here to stop this. Why should the user be the one that has to block it? They get the hassle of missed calls, voicemails etc and still have to pay the company for using their service which should have someone working for them blocking these callers. Koodoo in my opinion should be doing more. I've pretty much had enough of these callers now. It's getting worse as they're coming up as local numbers so now, the user doesn't know if it's real or fake?

Koodoo, lead the way and make a change for your customers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Richard Hoolahan wrote:

I actually don't think the tele communications companies do enough here to stop this. Why should ...

So what if they change the number? Should Koodo be the one blocking the numbers everytime? Your number is personal so the only way they (scammers) get acess to it is if you post it online.
Userlevel 5
Richard Hoolahan wrote:

I actually don't think the tele communications companies do enough here to stop this. Why should ...

@Robert that last statement about scammers needing you to share your number to get it is not right at all.  Hopefully you know that these scammers use automated dialers that just dial every possible phone number in a given block of exchanges at a time, right?  Literally anyone can dial you if they just happened to be dialing through your exchange at the time--or if they just pick up the phone and dial a random 10 digit phone number and it happens to be yours.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Richard Hoolahan wrote:

I actually didn't know that. I always thought they get your number from somewhere on the web. I was saying this because I'm not receiving any spam calls...
Userlevel 5
Richard Hoolahan wrote:

You're a lucky man.  I actually [i]just got another voicemail (as I never answer calls I either don't expect or recognize the number of) from "Canada Revenue Agency" letting me know (how kind of them!) that a lawsuit has been filed in my name and I'd better call them back so they can scam me into giving them money oh boy.  These people are the scum of the earth, there's no doubt about it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Richard Hoolahan wrote:

Ahhhh! I got that one too. That's the first this year! 
Userlevel 5
Richard Hoolahan wrote:

I keep blocking them, they keep calling from new numbers.  Sigh.  On to the next!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Richard Hoolahan wrote:

I don't even bother anymore.