Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Blocking annoying iphone ad

Userlevel 1
I'm really getting annoyed with an ad that I keep getting while trying to play scrabble (Classic Words Free) on my phone. It's a full screen ad that keeps appearing - possibly whenever I think for more than a few seconds of what my next word should be - telling me I've been selected to be a tester for the iphone6.  (I really haven't looked at the details because I'm just not interested in what appears to be a scam or a trolling operation to give up my email address.)

I *really* want to block this ad - and, ideally, EVERY ad - and have already installed Ad Block Plus (with the accept unobtrusive ads option UNchecked). I also have Avast Mobile Security on the phone. Neither of these measures stops that bloody ad from appearing.

What else can I do?

I've only seen this obnoxious iphone6 ad in this one game but I don't use the phone that much so it's possible it will appear elsewhere. For the life of me, I don't know how to tell whether the app itself is obtaining the ad or whether it is appearing as a result of some setting in Android.

I've read that Android is supposed to be immune to viruses due to its design but I wonder if this could be a virus that some very clever spammer figured out? If so, how could I figure that out and remove this nonsense?

Avast reports only one problem: that I'm accepting code from unknown sources, which I had to enable to install Ad Block Plus. But I was getting the iphone ad for several days before I enabled unknown sources so I don't believe that is why I am seeing the ad.

My phone is an HTC Desire 320 running Android 4.4.2.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Rhino.

The ad probably comes from the game itself since it's a free game and they want to make money somehow. The only way I think is to upgrade to the paid version fo the game and the ad would probably disapear (85% sure it will)

Have a nice day.
Userlevel 1
Robert wrote:

Hello Rhino.

The ad probably comes from the game itself since it's a free game and they want to ...

I was afraid you were going to say that.

Money's tight right now. Perhaps I'll just remove the game....
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I've read that Android is supposed to be immune to viruses due to its design....

You may wish to read about this vulnerability, and maintain your vigilance. NO operating system is immune to unwanted intrusions by clever hackers, and Android's open nature, and the ability to download code from unknown sources increases such vulnerability.  I recommend following an Android blog to keep up to date on such happenings.

Now that you've added Ad Block Plus, an App Google WILL NOT include in the Play store for obvious reasons, you may be able to close that door, and increase your security.

Userlevel 1
David wrote:

I've read that Android is supposed to be immune to viruses due to its design....

Y...

Thanks for that. I've disabled MMS for the time being and have re-blocked anything from unknown sources. Hopefully, that will prevent StageFright from getting onto my phone.