Koodo Community
Question

Blocked Numbers

• 19 December 2019
  • 15 replies

Does anyone know how to stop a blocked number from leaving voicemails? The same number has been calling me for months....26 times in the last 12 hrs, and fills up my voicemail box within minutes. I've had 2 different phones in that time, and it happens on both.

I don't understand how a blocked number can still access voicemail. Seems to defeat the purpose. 

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How are you blocking the number ? Are you using the phones preinstalled blockers within the dialer and messaging apps or a  downloaded app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If the caller was abusive, you could try to report it to police. Blocked numbers still can leave  voicemails (unless you disabled your voicemail).

How are you blocking the number ? Are you using the phones preinstalled blockers within the dialer and messaging apps or a  downloaded app?

I’m using the preinstalled blocker on the phones.

If the caller was abusive, you could try to report it to police. Blocked numbers still can leave  voicemails (unless you disabled your voicemail).

Not abusive, it’s robocalls.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Not abusive, it’s robocalls.

If it was from a registered telemarketing firm you could register your number to the “Do not call list” https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/

If they are still calll you after the registration you could file a complaint.

Thank you Dinh, I don’t know if it’s a Canadian company or not, but I am already registered on the DNCL (sometimes I wonder if that’s how they get your number in the first place), so I registered a complaint.

Userlevel 4

Hi Rockgirl. I posted this 2 months ago 

“Hi Robert. My recent Eastlink bill says that in December something called Universal Network-level Call Blocking (UNCB) will be implemented. I checked the CRTC web site and as of the 19th of December 2019, all Telecom providers must implement a UNCB plan. Lengthy reading but the bottom line is that all Telecom providers made their submissions and the CRTC gave them a year from their ruling (19th of December 2018) to implement a plan. Your blatantly bogus appearing number should be eliminated. Eastlink states that they will not get all spammers. I expect that the spammers will probably come up with something new. https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2018/2018-484.htm

Guess what ? Today is the 19th of December 2019. That means all Telecom’s must have a plan to decrease these nuisance calls.

So maybe 2 things,  1. Koodo may be able to block the caller at their level and 2. these are harassing calls, 26 times in 12 hours is harassment. Over several months makes it worse. So as Dinh said above, take your proof to your local Police Service, I would go that route.  From the Criminal Code of Canada : 

criminal-code-of-canada-section-372-3-harassing-telephone-calls.jpg

Thank you Fred this is great news indeed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

And past that sometimes they just surge calling before calming down after a bit so hopefully while you try to go that route they will ease off on you. From what I've read the high number of calls in a day tends no to last long if you don't answer and ignore

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Fred C Koodo/TELUS is not in violation of the above legislation at all.  We are in the process of building a better mousetrap ans as far as I understand this was acknowledged by the Commission, along with the understanding that we would not implement UNBC, due to our belief that it doesn’t do as great of a job as what we are going to release in the new year. 

Userlevel 4

@Bernard. This paragraph in the CRTC ruling shows TCI argument against implementing.

Compliance and Enforcement and Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2018-484

24.TCI submitted that it currently offers an opt-in call filtering service that makes universal network-level call blocking unnecessary. Calls with mirrored numbers and non-conforming numbers are challenged and calls can be selectively allowed through the use of the customer’s accepted list (the whitelist).Footnote 9 Videotron submitted that very good progress is being made in the area of call filtering and believes that TSPs should focus their time, money, and energy on that solution.

Footnote 9. Whitelists enable the subscriber to accept certain calls based on caller ID information. The user manually selects the list of telephone numbers to accept; it is generally limited to 10 to 30 telephone numbers per subscriber.

I have never read on your site nor saw anything from any Rep or MM anything about a “Whitelist”.

I am unable to find an exemption for TCI on the CRTC site. I was able to find all of TCI opposition (arguments, not only the one quoted) to their proposed ruling, prior to the 19th of December 2018.

Regardless, no where in my post did I insinuate that TCI was in violation. I merely suggested that in accordance with the CRTC decision that Koodo may be able to block the caller at your level.

I also advised that I would go the Police route to Rockgirl. 

I still stand by what I posted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Fred C Not disputing any of your posts here, just added commentary.😀

Userlevel 4

@Bernard. In my mind your commentary is disputing. You misread and responded too quickly. I would have been really pleased if your commentary to Rockgirl was to the effect that you agreed with her being harassed and TCI were going to look at her calls to see if TCI could help her.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Fred C Appreciate the feedback! Honestly!

Userlevel 5

TELUS Corporation says they can do better and that is why they are not implementing something on time again? Just like they did better with VoLTE, VoWiFi, RCS, eSIM.