Koodo Community

Community

Solved

***BEWARE***Samsung S6 Edge - Clear View Case Causes Scratches on Gorilla Glass and Track Pad

***BEWARE***Samsung S6 Edge - Clear View Case Causes Scratches on Gorilla Glass and Track Pad

So I bought 2 S6 edge from the Koodo in Stone Road Mall and Cambridge Centre (due to low stock) on the 19th of December and also bought 2 Clear View S6 edge Samsung cases. Plus, I purchased the extended warranty.

Soon after purchasing the phone I have realized that there are small scratches on the right edge of the screen (where the case cover closes on the screen), now these scratches are deep and has also affected the track pad.

After looking up the clear view case online, there are infinite amount of claims that the Clear View case (The exact one I bought from Koodo) causes scratches and cracks on the phone. Not only are there claims from customers but Samsung themselves have acknowledged this problem caused by the case.

Therefore, I do not understand why Koodo is selling this case to customers (I guess they do not care) as it seems to have been a known problem across providers and Samsung since May 2015.

I feel defrauded by Koodo for selling me a protective case which is doing nothing but the opposite.

What should I do?

Samsung has offered to replace the phone for free but I am worried that if I send it directly to Samsung and they replace the phone that my warranty with Koodo with become withdrawn, as it is for the damaged phone not the new phone given by Samsung.

I would be most comfortable getting the phone replaced by Koodo and a reimbursement for the case. Then Koodo can take their time with Samsung and make them claim themselves (According to Samsung this is also the best option).

-  Customer (S.P.)

References:

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/05/13/samsungs-clear-view-case-for-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-responsible-f...

http://www.sammobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Galaxy-S6-Clear-View-cover-fix.pdf

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/57473/20150603/galaxy-s6-clear-view-scratched-display-samsscreen-u...

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Galaxy-S6---edge-owners-beware-Samsungs-Clear-View-case-scratches-scr...

http://phandroid.com/2015/05/15/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-clear-view-case-scratches/

Best Buy reviews: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/reviews/samsung-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-clear-view-cover-case-black-blue-...

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Koodo will most likely not be exchanging the device for you due to how how the subsidies work on your account and lots of other backend stuff.

If Samsung does it for you, I think you won't have a problem with the warranty. Just have them (or yourself) explain to Koodo that you received a replacement device and the warranty should be transferred to the new one. Usually that's done automatically but I would call them to confirm.
Jonathan I wrote:

Koodo will most likely not be exchanging the device for you due to how how the subsidies work on ...

Thank you, I will go with Samsung then.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Also just like you said it's a known issue and one you could find info on pretty easy as you've seen. It's actually an issue with any and all portfolio style cases because dirt gets in between the case and the phone and keeps getting ground into the glass of the device and it's best to do research of any product before buying so you can't fault anyone for actually just selling the product. Think of cars there are many new cars that get sold and some are lemons and some aren't but it's up to you to do your research. So if Samsung is willing to replace your phone go for it because I wouldn't expect a company to replace the phone.
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Also just like you said it's a known issue and one you could find info on pretty easy as you've s...

That is a good point. Thank you for the advice. 
Userlevel 2
If its under 15 days since you got the phone by law koodos responsibility to cover it more than 15 you have to go to the manufacturet
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tristan Gummow wrote:

If its under 15 days since you got the phone by law koodos responsibility to cover it more than 1...

It's not under 15 days.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
"Therefore, I do not understand why Koodo is selling this case to customers (I guess they do not care) as it seems to have been a known problem across providers and Samsung since May 2015."

It's Samsung's responsibility to recall their products and to notify their authorized dealers.

"Samsung has offered to replace the phone for free but I am worried that if I send it directly to Samsung and they replace the phone that my warranty with Koodo with become withdrawn, as it is for the damaged phone not the new phone given by Samsung."

Koodo should not cancel your extended warranty because the manufacturer replaced your device directly. I'd call customer service for instructions on what to do once your replacement device arrives as they'll most likely need to update device details for your extended warranty.
Ivan wrote:

"Therefore, I do not understand why Koodo is selling this case to customers (I guess they do not&...

Thank you for this comment. Heres a few rhetorical questions to start my reply: Is it ok for the blame to be be pinned on the customer as Koodo only sold the bad product which is not made by them? Makes a lot of sense as Koodo is supposed to provide quality for their customers, but it's only ok cause they didn't make it and the maker didn't say anything bad about it only the users all around the world said it was. Therefore there is no need to listen to the statements made by users. So since there is no recal it is ok for Koodo to sell a product that clearly, with a little research, can be found causes significant damage? ... Why not, more damage more profit right ? Koodo may not be directly responsible but as a customer of Koood it would be nice if Koodo did some of their own background check to maintain a level of quality for their own customers by avoiding products which may cause this type of situations. Or they should warn the customer of the potential risks which come with using a product like this. Because Samsung made the product doesn't mean that Koodo is not at wrong for selling me a product that has the potential to cause harm, which is a clear potential just by doing research.

I've been a customer for 4 years and I see the relationship between my time with Koodo and level of service provided by Koodo. It has become apparent that the level of service and quality is diminishing as my time with kood increases. A lot of lies and bad quality in order just to make a sale. Instead of providing the customer which best interests them .

I wish , as a customer, that I could trust my provider responsibility to provide me with safe and reliable products.

But why do that? When Koodo can sell products which are equivalent fecal matter and make more profit on the customer coming back to buy a replacement from the wide variety of fecal matter which Koodo provides.

In conclusion, I shouldn't have to feel like I can't trust my provider. I should shave to research my own product assuming that my provider is trying to make a buck, I should be able to expect that koodo is selling me a product which they have informed themselves of and insured that they are providing customers the best products.
UPDATE: -returned cases to Koodo and informed them of the potential case problems. -sending phone out for replacement today.