Koodo Community

Community

Solved

best option for service for international travel?

What is the best option for getting text, voice and data service while travelling? I wish to spend 1 week in the US, 3 weeks in Mexico, then 1 more week in the US all consecutively. Is there one international service or do I need to buy service for 2 separate countries? Can I start these services after I arrive in the country or do they need to be started before leaving Canada? Thanks,

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Sounds like a great trip! Check out the roaming packages for US for 3, 10 and 30 days, and Mexico travel. These add ons take effect when you make the purchase so you can add them when you leave or when you get there...up to you! http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/travelling
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You would need 2 different services and it all depends on your usage! If it's an minimal usage go with Koodo. If not, then unlock the phone and prepaid in both countries!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Data does not seem to be a big priority with prepaid Mexican phones. Probably much less of a hassle to buy the roaming bundles with Koodo for such a short trip.
Thanks for the quick response, the rates get a bit expensive when travelling between countries. If I choose not to buy the add-ons and pay for actual use at the rates noted, would there also be any additional roaming charges?
Userlevel 6
Roaming charges is basically long distance when you're travelling. The purpose of these roaming add ons are so that you save on long distance. Am hoping someone can correct me but I think it also uses up your airtime minutes, so you'd be charged long distance PLUS airtime overage should you go over your plan's minutes
Userlevel 7
Cameron Jones wrote:

Roaming charges is basically long distance when you're travelling. The purpose of these roaming a...

I can sadly confirm for roaming using airtime minutes. 😞
Userlevel 6
Cameron Jones wrote:

Roaming charges is basically long distance when you're travelling. The purpose of these roaming a...

Thanks Daniel!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
US rates not out of this world. For Mexico, I would stick to internet cafes. Pay the going rate for wifi, usually near hotels.