Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Being charged for data when I shouldn't be!!

How is it that I'm being charged for data when I'm only ever at home and at work where I have wifi on all the time? I just got this phone (Galaxy Mega) 2 weeks ago and I've already used 600 Mb apparently.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Data can easily seep through wi-fi. Some apps will look for the strongest signal and if that isn't wi-fi it will go on koodo's network. Depending on the app you can change their settings to only work in wi-fi to avoid surprises. Netfilx for example has this.
Userlevel 4
With that sort of usage, the data was on. when you were using internet, the wifi was not connected.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Unless you happen to work at home, you will be on mobile data during your commute (and whenever you happen to leave the house). There are two ways your can restrict your mobile data: 1. Call Customer Support and have them place a data block on your line. No matter where you go or what you do with your phone, you will not get any data this way. The downside is, should you ever want to access mobile data, you cannot unless you phone in again and ask CS to remove the data block. 2. You can shut off mobile data yourself. If you pull down the notification bar, there is a toggle for mobile data (you may have to scroll sideways to get to it). If you have mobile data enabled, your apps can use data even if you're not physically using the phone yourself.
I have my mobile data setting turned off as I thought that myapps would hop to the strongest signal. Therein less my issue. I appreciate the help 🙂
Userlevel 6
Its Just Me wrote:

I have my mobile data setting turned off as I thought that myapps would hop to the strongest sign...

That sounds impossible! 🙂