Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Before you update your Galaxy S2X to JB

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
http://myandroidchief.com/galaxy-s2-jelly-bean-update-details-revealed-by-samsung-korea-release-date-not-so-much/ I have seen a lot of ppl on here asking when they will see the Jelly Bean update on their GS2X so I thought I'd post this to avoid some angry ppl when they eventually do get the update. You will lose 1gb of internal storage when you do according to this article. Also you won't be able to move apps/games to SD Card anymore after JB update.

37 replies

Userlevel 5
guess whos not updating <---- this chick 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
HippieLongstocking wrote:

guess whos not updating <---- this chick :p

I'm sure it will run better but these are just a couple things to keep in mind. If you root you will be able to save to SD I'm sure but the majority of ppl I'm sure won't root.
Badge +4

The article you mention specifically states the Galaxy S2 Jelly Bean update and not an update for the Galaxy S2x. Different processors, so likely the software will be a little different between the two. For example, the S2 has a stereo FM radio with RDS and the S2x does not have the radio feature. The S2 has the Exynos chipset, while the S2x incorporates the Qualcomm APQ8060 Snapdragon chipset. S2 CPU: Dual-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9 S2x CPU: Dual-core 1.5 GHz Scorpion Even the GPU's differ.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The article was to show that the update will take a large piece of tour internal memory of it doesn't matter what model it actually is because it will contain all the same things just specific for that model like you specified, the update will still be like 1gb in size.
Badge +4

http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/galaxy_s2x_t989d_android_4_1_jelly_bean [i]"They will never be able to update the way Apple updates because each company has more Android phones then Apple has all phones and all the updates for each phone need to be written up completely different" That is exactly what I was eluding to. Not so much the the physical size of the update. Your next response will be that you are referring to the different brands (HTC, Samsung, LG) and I agree. However, even in this instance we have two completely different processors, different chipsets, different gpu's; two devices from the same manufacturer, which means that the software will differ between the S2 and S2x. [i]"Apparently the upgrade to Jelly Bean will be done only via Kies and the whole thing will take at least one hour. During the update you’ll lose 1GB of storage, which will be used for system partition. That means internal memory will be at 11GB once Android 4.1 will be installed". I really wish people writing articles like this would use proper terminology. Internal storage is not the same as internal memory. The update will take up to 1 GB of internal storage - period. Internal memory is the 1 GB of RAM present on both devices and should remain intact. The sentence should read, [i]"That means internal storage will be reduced to 11GB once Android 4.1 is installed".
Userlevel 1

Good explaination Rikkster
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

OMG seriously, you know what I'm talking about why are you being so damn difficult? I put one wrong word geez
Badge +4

Yes, seriously. Accuracy is everything! You seem to want to preach to others as to how the Koodo/Get Satisfaction community should be run in terms of etiquette and relevance, next time research your material. Read the article again and you'll find the mistake there as well. http://myandroidchief.com/galaxy-s2-jelly-bean-update-details-revealed-by-samsung-korea-release-date-not-so-much/ I'm not a vengeful person, but you criticized me for posting relevant, yet in your mind, less-than-credible material from Wikipedia for no good reason. How is this crap any different? Why is it you take everything so damned personal and when you're challenged or proven wrong, you get all offended? Not only did you make an error in your explanation, (which I waived), I was pointing out the error in the article which should not have been posted in the first place. And you've been with this community how long?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I wasn't being mean if it came across that way I apologize. What are you talking about that the info is wrong and should have never been posted? I don't get where it's wrong at all, the update will take 1gb of internal storage that's all I said how's that wrong? The OS size isn't going to change any even though the models are different. I just said why do you post stuff from Wikipedia because it can be altered by anyone. I didn't know that it was from a reputable source & I apologized.
Badge +4

Moving forward. It depends on how each device utilizes the OS, if one device doesn't have the hardware, for example the FM/RDS radio that is not present on the S2x, then the software will not get loaded onto the device. This will directly affect the overall size of the OS on the device itself. The fact that the upgrade may be 1 GB in size is irrelevant. I'll provide a simple example later in this post. The same goes for different processors, chipsets and gpu's. Software has to be written specifically for these two devices because the S2's upgrade is incompatible with the S2x. Code written for the Exynos chipset will differ from code written for the Qualcomm SnapDragon chipset, that alone may increase or decrease the overall size of the OS upgrade for the S2x. So it's really anyone's guess as to how big the OS upgrade will actually be, for all we know the S2x's Jelly Bean upgrade might be 1.2 GB in size. Let's say you upgrade from Windows 7 and install Windows 8 on your laptop, but your laptop doesn't have a soundcard, card reader or USB 3.0 ports. Windows won't install any software, drivers or allocate resources for these missing devices because it simply can't find them. So, if the Windows 8 install is 4 GB's in size for all laptops with a soundcard, card reader or USB 3.0 ports, the laptop without those devices will see a reduction in the overall size of the OS installation. The word "apparently" signifies that whoever wrote the article may have heard a rumour that the OS upgrade will be 1 GB in size. The article states that the S2 will be getting the upgrade. The article may be region specific, the writer makes reference to the fact that the information is coming from Samsung Korea. This may have nothing to do with North American S2's or S2x models. It's not an official statement from Samsung and to be honest, since no one has a definite date as to when the upgrade will arrive for the S2x, adding that the S2x will get the 1 GB upgrade is nothing more than pure speculation and not worth debating any longer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I just came across this Rikkster, which is the official Samsung website and they call the internal and external storage they call it "memory" like I did and the article I have linked above did, check it out here http://m.samsung.com/ca/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/smartphones/GT-S7560ZKMBMC-spec maybe you should go get offended by Samsung also like you did here & make a big deal out of it lol jk
Badge +4

Then you might want to read this... http://support.google.com/android/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1665504 I don't make this stuff up, maybe you should take this up with Android, lol jk btw... the author of the article you posted, retracted the statement about not being able to move apps over to a microSD card after the JB update...
Userlevel 1
Great topic Kid, very pertinent ! There are some clear disadvantages in getting the update. Plus, the JB update for the S2 LTE, by example, is extremely buggy (especially with the motion activation functions). I honestly think that the developpers community did a much better job with their roms of JB then what Samsung did with theirs...
Badge +4
Don wrote:

Great topic Kid, very pertinent ! There are some clear disadvantages in getting the update. Plus,...

I agree with the latter part of your comment.
Userlevel 7
i don't know wich one i have to chose there's are two file for sgh-t989d SGH-T989D_NA_TLS_ICS_Opensource.zip SGH-T989D_GB_Opensource.zip thank's if i made a bad choice please tell it to me and sorry for my english
Userlevel 7
sebastien beaulieu wrote:

i don't know wich one i have to chose there's are two file for sgh-t989d SGH-T989D_NA_TLS_...

Neither is JellyBean. If you're looking to flash a custom rom i highly recommend Cyanogenmod 10. The most popular development out there and very stable.

i don't know wich one i have to chose there's are two file for sgh-t989d SGH-T989D_NA_TLS_...

Okdo you have an idea wher i can found it And how to procced Thank I never flash my phone
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

keep that top one handy though because if you want to official Jelly Bean you can't get it when running a custom ROM. Personally I'd just wait a couple weeks I'm sure it's coming real soon now.
Badge +4

Sebastien, here are a couple of links to get you started. The T-Mobile T989 variant is identical to the T-989D (Galaxy S2x). Plenty of information can be found in these links, be prepared to do a fair bit of reading. Read the sticky thread first. Sticky: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2076956 http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1329 http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1332
Userlevel 1

Si vous avez des questions, vous pouvez les poser en français. Il y a plusieurs francophones sur ce forum 😉
Badge +4

Sébastien, voici quelques liens pour vous aider à démarrer. Le T-Mobile T989 variante est identique au T-989D (Galaxy S2x). Beaucoup d'informations peuvent être trouvées dans ces liens, soyez prêt à faire un peu juste de la lecture. Lire le fil collant premier. Sticky: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showt... http://forum.xda-developers.com/forum... http://forum.xda-developers.com/forum...
Will this update on it's own or do I have to download the update from somewhere?
Badge +4
Evan Smith wrote:

Will this update on it's own or do I have to download the update from somewhere?

No. You will have to download the free program Samsung Kies, the Galaxy S2x doesn't support OTA or over-the-air updating. Once the update is pushed through, the next time you open Samsung Kies with your device connected, you will be notified of the update, from there, you just have to follow the on-screen prompts to install the new firmware/software update. Samsung Kies: http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/JSP
I was really looking forward to eventually getting the JB update, but is 1gb of internal storage not a ton? My phone says I only have about 2gb of total internal storage, yet previous posts say that after installing JB, you will have approximately 11gb of internal storage? Why is there such a discrepancy? I'm not very tech-savvy, so please bear with me. Thanks for the help in advance.