Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Battery Sucks

Hello - just got a Samsung Galaxy SII and have question about battery life. Sales person at the kiosk I bought it from said it had a good battery life. I took it home and waited for battery to get very low - then charged it fully overnight. I used it for a day and half and then when it was low charged it fully again. Day three my battery didn't even last 8 hours. Day four after phone fully charged, battery reduced to 31% before 11 am Something is sucking the life out of the battery but I have no idea what. I barely used it this morning. I have it on battery low, no games played, no animated wallpaper, contrast on low, data turned off. I don't know what else to do. Anyone have any brillant ideas. Wondering what is the point of a smartphone if I can't leave it on to receive text messages!

16 replies

How many hours of screen time are you getting on it? You can check by going to settings --> Battery and looking there. It'll also show you what's causing your battery to die as quickly as it is. You can always turn off certain power hogging features such as Bluetooth, GPS, and lower the brightness as much as you can stand while still being able to see. The phone also has a power saving mode you can turn on in the settings which will definitely increase the battery life. You can also try and download an app such as Juice Defender to turn off data when you're not using it (you'll still receive notifications) and you'll see a large jump in battery life. Hope all that helps!
Here's what the battery screen in the settings looks like. If you still have no luck with it you might want to try upgrading the phone to the newest version of Android 4.1.2 and seeing if that helps.

Userlevel 7
Make sure you're also holding down the Home key and swiping away recently used apps and clearing RAM in the task manager (on that same screen). Also, try this: Settings > Developer Options > at the very bottom you'll see "Limit background processes". Set this to 3 or 4 and see if that improves your battery. I know it does for my S III. I get almost 36 hours out of my device. It can go down if I play some games or read too much Cracked lol
Thanks for the responses. I have the contrast quite low - discharging says 35% 4h 56 57 s on battery - Android OS is 50% - screen is 19%, google services 15% gmail 9% android system 3% - I don't know why the android OS is at 50% - this sounds quite high to me - what would make it so high?
Hmm, you're right that seems unusually high. Are you running Ice Cream sandwich on it? You can check by going into Settings --> About device and you'll see "Android version" with a number. As Jonathan said definitely limit the number of background processes running, it'll limit the amount of stuff that the phone does when you're not using it. You could also try and limit the number of times you have different apps syncing data such as Gmail for example. Worst case you might want to look into getting an extended battery for the phone such as this http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=64541
I have Android version 4.0.4 Yes I remove all items when I am done - that was soemthing the sales person showed me to do so it doesn't run in the background. I have no idea if I have the Ice Cream sandwich. I have gone into the developer options - what is this for? It was set at "standard" which comes with the phone - if I select 1 what does it affect? I have another week with the phone - I quite like it but cannot use it with this kind of battery and I can return it - would prefer to keep it though - I don't play games, don't listen to music - just want to receive text messages with the occasional picture. I didn't think I was using that much battery for such few things.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Agi S wrote:

I have Android version 4.0.4 Yes I remove all items when I am done - that was soemthing the sale...

Yes, that is Ice Cream Sandwich. Most phones' battery life sucks for the firs few days, but it shouldn't be as bad as you've stated. I'd take the phone back for replacement.
Agi S wrote:

I have Android version 4.0.4 Yes I remove all items when I am done - that was soemthing the sale...

4.0.4 is ICS. I would do a battery-pull reset and start again.
Agi S wrote:

I find battery on most koodoo phones does not last! I have Samsung Galaxy ACE, with no apps running or sleeping!; charged overnight the phone is dead next afternoon. During a recent car accident, I could not even call OPP, the person I hit had to loan his mobile. I am not floating in $$$ to buy a new $50 battery every week. Does Koodoo know a Jitterbug phone battery lasts 400 hours or more after it is charged? Koodoo is too dumb not to support Jitterbug.
Userlevel 7
Agi S wrote:

Koodo doesn't manufacture the devices , they sell them, if you're not satisfied with battery life that's a device issue. And battery's don't last forever either, new batteries can be found online for under 10$ Comparing a jitterbug to a smartphone is like comparing apples to oranges because a smartphones power needs are very different from a simple feature phone. If a simple flip phone is all you need, Koodo sells one. Btw for 150$ you could upgrade to a Moto G which has a huge capacity battery which will likely give you a much better experience than your tired old galaxy ace.
As stated give it a few more days and see what happens, it usually does improve a bit after the first little while. Try and charge it once it completely dies and not before and see if that helps. It may be a defective unit so if it doesn't improve definitely return it before the 2 weeks ends.
Thank you very much for all the responses. Really helps to brainstorm. I deleted the three little games I downloaded (like spider solitaire) it reduced the android OS from 50% to 49% - not enough to make a difference. I reduced the contrast even more - am 61 years old - if I reduce it anymore it will look like a black screen to me LOL I will keep it a couple more days and see if battery improves. Have a fabulous day.
Userlevel 5
Agi S wrote:

Thank you very much for all the responses. Really helps to brainstorm. I deleted the three li...

Maybe try to delete all the background applications that are running when you don't need them. If you hold down the home button, you should be taken to the "multitasking" feature, and then you can swipe the apps that are running in the background so you can save more battery life.
I have encounter this type an issue several times and all you have to do is upgrade your OS to the latest version, after completed, give it a full charge and if problem still persist then you have a battery issue, do this ASAP so you wont have to wait any longer...good luck
Just a follow up on this for everyone who responded - Yesterday the phone stayed charged all day - ended the day at 82% charged. Day two - at at 67% charged. So it seems that the suggestion that I wait for three or four days of charging seems to have worked. The phone is good - so likely will keep it - have another week to go. Just thought anyone checking in on this might like to know - don't give up too quickly.
Userlevel 7
If you're interested, I have the same phone, I use an app called green power premium that has really extended my battery life. It works by disabling data, wifi, and / or bluetooth for short periods of time (10-15 minutes) then re enabling it for a few minutes. It can also monitor your coarse location an wifi and turn wifi on and off based on if you've connected to wifi before in that location. Has tons of options and scenarios so you can get the most from your battery. Worked well for me. You can fin a trial version in play store.