Koodo Community
Question

Bad service with Koodoo once again

Userlevel 1
So my daughter has had her phone for well under a year. It heated up so hot she wasn't able to touch it. This is the huaweip 20 pro so not a cheap phone by any means. Kind of a safety concern I would say. They send it off to have repaired because it's been under a year. She just received a phone call saying that they would not fix unless they are paid $400. Wow koodoo you have really sunk to a new level of horrible customer service. Not only can you not speak with an agent until they schedule a call back they don't honour their agreement with the customer. Big companies using bullying techniques is unacceptable. Now I have to take hours out of my busy work day to deal with this. Shame shame on koodoo.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
When you said it was hot. Did you try to reset it to default factory settings?

When did you buy the phone? If they said $400, they are telling you to have a replacement device and the fault was on you. What did they say specifically? Was your phone physically intact? no water damage?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Can you elaborate on what they said is wrong with it that they said you need to pay 400 dollars for a repair?
Userlevel 1
No there was no damage to it , it is a waterproof phone. The phone heated up. My daughter brought it into the kiosk and they sent in for repairs. I am waiting for a call back but they have shown how unimportant customer is as I am available for the time they booked with me for a call back yet no call back. Typical koodoo service. Nothing unusual. Worst part is that we have been customers or around 9 years and have 3 cell phones. I am prepared to cancel them all but am having problems even getting a call back. The message they left had no details on why we would have to pay just the bill we would be responsible for in order to have phone repaired as well as it's waterproof. So no no water damage.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Technically they get you with it is water resistant. In the case of the p20pro, it is at a depth up to 1 metre for up to 30 minutes in fresh water. Of course they will always say they aren't responsible for it if it gets damaged from water because basically they don't wanna pay for it. They blame the user for it, even if it never was exposed to water beyond its rated resistance. Samsung is currently getting sued over advertising them being submerged in salt water at beaches and refusing to fix the resultant water damage.

With that out of the way, I'm afraid there's not much of anything we can do here as we're not privy to the details of your phone repair. They try to give you a call back time that should fit, but unusually long calls can cascade through the day and make everyone not get calls when they are supposed to. If you don't get it soon, you can send a private message to Koodo via Facebook Messenger or DM via Twitter but there is an unknown wait time on there before you get spoken to.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No there was no damage to it , it is a waterproof phone. The phone heated up. My daughter brought it into the kiosk and they sent in for repairs. I am waiting for a call back but they have shown how unimportant customer is as I am available for the time they booked with me for a call back yet no call back. Typical koodoo service. Nothing unusual. Worst part is that we have been customers or around 9 years and have 3 cell phones. I am prepared to cancel them all but am having problems even getting a call back. The message they left had no details on why we would have to pay just the bill we would be responsible for in order to have phone repaired as well as it's waterproof. So no no water damage.

I would focus on the matter of the phone warranty rather than other issues.

Was the phone with you or still with them? I would suggest you get an official answer on why they proposed the charge of $400? Something wasn't right there.

Regarding the callback, make sure you schedule to a working number and you didn't block their number 1 (866) 995-6636 (or unknown number). You could also send message to their facebook https://www.facebook.com/Koodo, you might get more experienced rep over there.
Userlevel 1
I am on hold right now trying to speak with someone regarding this. They just left a message saying phone would not be fixed unless the fee was payed. I will not be doing this as we look after our phones very well so this is a faulty phone. What damage could possibly have been done to it if it is a waterproof phone. My daughter says it is a battery issue. I have no idea how that can become the customers fault. I am currently on hold with a representative trying to figure out how they assessed this damage.
Userlevel 1
That is what I am trying to do right now. I have a very good representative on the line right now trying to find how they came to this conclusion. The message they left on the phone was very vague and just said physical damage so I have no idea what they could possibly be refering to. This makes no sense at all to me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
That is what I am trying to do right now. I have a very good representative on the line right now trying to find how they came to this conclusion. The message they left on the phone was very vague and just said physical damage so I have no idea what they could possibly be refering to. This makes no sense at all to me.
You mentioned that phone get too hot. So, it could be it's battery.
I wouldn't agree to pay $400 untill they tell me what kind of damage/parts they have to repair.

Also, I would ask them if they checked the battery. I believe they will replace it under the warranty If it was faulty one. (Rep should be able to confirm )
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sounds to me like your beef is with Huawei, not koodo. When phones are sent in for warranty repair it isn't Koodo that repairs or addresses them, they simply send it back to the manufacturer. That's who determines warranty eligibility.
Userlevel 1
Sounds to me like your beef is with Huawei, not koodo. When phones are sent in for warranty repair it isn't Koodo that repairs or addresses them, they simply send it back to the manufacturer. That's who determines warranty eligibility.
Yes but koodo sold me the phone and will do nothing to help out. They just told me they have no idea what is physical damage they can diagnos with whatever they want. I have no idea how to even think about contacting Huawei. I own a store and if my product is faulty it is up to me to deal with the product and go back to my supplier as I would not exist in small business if I didn't be fair to people. Koodo is doing absolutely nothing for me. I am stuck paying for a phone that they won't even tell me what physical damage is. Do you know how I would go about reaching out to Huawei? I have done everything on my end as the customer to honor my part and koodo just could honestly care less. I just don't see how a customer of 8 ish years who has been loyal can be treated so poorly with absolutely no care. I truly feel that koodo needs to their product. The phone is literally under 6 months old
Userlevel 1

That is what I am trying to do right now. I have a very good representative on the line right now trying to find how they came to this conclusion. The message they left on the phone was very vague and just said physical damage so I have no idea what they could possibly be refering to. This makes no sense at all to me.You mentioned that phone get too hot. So, it could be it's battery.
I wouldn't agree to pay $400 untill they tell me what kind of damage/parts they have to repair.

Also, I would ask them if they checked the battery. I believe they will replace it under the warranty If it was faulty one. (Rep should be able to confirm )

I have spent 2 hours with supervisor and spoke with customer service at kiosk and they have no information for me. They are telling me my only option is to suck it up. So if I don't want to affect my credit rating I will have to pay for a faulty phone. This is so frustrating I can't even believe this is possible or legal. I have rejected quote and they will send phone back and I still have to pay for it. Imagine if this is a vehicle. If anyone has suggestions on how I can not be ripped off like this I would appreciate. I am going to call local media and BBB. Hopefully I can come to some resolution. All I want is a working phone like I purchased.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have spent 2 hours with supervisor and spoke with customer service at kiosk and they have no information for me. They are telling me my only option is to suck it up. So if I don't want to affect my credit rating I will have to pay for a faulty phone. This is so frustrating I can't even believe this is possible or legal. I have rejected quote and they will send phone back and I still have to pay for it. Imagine if this is a vehicle. If anyone has suggestions on how I can not be ripped off like this I would appreciate. I am going to call local media and BBB. Hopefully I can come to some resolution. All I want is a working phone like I purchased.

When I sent my phone to repair, store person told me that they will contact me if repair didn’t cover by warranty.
Then they will tell me estimated cost, and I have choice to go ahead to repair (pay by me), or decline to repair. They didn’t charge me automatically.

Manufacture already repaired it without notifying you there is an extra cost?
Is it working, or problem fixed? (I assume not...)
If it’s not fix yet, then manufacture/
Huawei can’t charge you.
Userlevel 1
When you said it was hot. Did you try to reset it to default factory settings?

When did you buy the phone? If they said $400, they are telling you to have a replacement device and the fault was on you. What did they say specifically? Was your phone physically intact? no water damage?

They will not explain to me what they are assessing damage to be.
Userlevel 1

I have spent 2 hours with supervisor and spoke with customer service at kiosk and they have no information for me. They are telling me my only option is to suck it up. So if I don't want to affect my credit rating I will have to pay for a faulty phone. This is so frustrating I can't even believe this is possible or legal. I have rejected quote and they will send phone back and I still have to pay for it. Imagine if this is a vehicle. If anyone has suggestions on how I can not be ripped off like this I would appreciate. I am going to call local media and BBB. Hopefully I can come to some resolution. All I want is a working phone like I purchased.When I sent my phone to repair, store person told me that they will contact me if repair didn’t cover by warranty.
Then they will tell me estimated cost, and I have choice to go ahead to repair (pay by me), or decline to repair. They didn’t charge me automatically.

Manufacture already repaired it without notifying you there is an extra cost?
Is it working, or problem fixed? (I assume not...)
If it’s not fix yet, then manufacture/
Huawei can’t charge you.

Yes koodo kiosk sent my phone out for repairs. They have given me an estimate of $400 for a phone that they can not tell me how they came to that conclusion. Both a supervisor and a representative at the actual kiosk said they have no way of giving me the information. For example you go to take your car in and they tell you it's $400 that you pay it or tough luck. If this is a brand new car under warranty as this phone is you would have expecations of them at the very least letting you know why they are not honouring a warranty.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes koodo kiosk sent my phone out for repairs. They have given me an estimate of $400 for a phone that they can not tell me how they came to that conclusion.

So, they gave you an estimate. Then, you don’t have to pay for it yet, correct?
I would contact Huawei Canada directly if they can do something for you.
I googled “Huawei Canada”.
https://consumer.huawei.com/ca/support/warranty-policy/
go to Support > Warranty policy > contact us on bottom of page
I don’t know what they can do, but at least you can try.
Userlevel 1

Yes koodo kiosk sent my phone out for repairs. They have given me an estimate of $400 for a phone that they can not tell me how they came to that conclusion.
So, they gave you an estimate. Then, you don’t have to pay for it yet, correct?
I would contact Huawei Canada directly if they can do something for you.
I googled “Huawei Canada”.https://consumer.huawei.com/ca/support/warranty-policy/go to Support > Warranty policy > contact us on bottom of page
I don’t know what they can do, but at least you can try.

I still feel koodo bares some responsibility to tell me how the came to the conclusion of what is wrong with the phone. This way I at the very least have the informhtion to move forward with making contact with better business bureau, new media and social media. I would like to have my facts straight and will be keeping records on how this is proceeded forward with. I just want to have some facts on the issue they assessed to be worth a $400 repair. Not just accepting a figure they pull out of the air. Just makes sense to me.
Userlevel 1
Is there not anyone that believes the representative that sells the product ( koodo) holds the responsibility to take care of the customers. I feel as if they should be in contact with huawei. I will do this myself but it doesn't make me feel confident regarding koodos warranty or customer care. It's brutal.
Userlevel 1
Technically they get you with it is water resistant. In the case of the p20pro, it is at a depth up to 1 metre for up to 30 minutes in fresh water. Of course they will always say they aren't responsible for it if it gets damaged from water because basically they don't wanna pay for it. They blame the user for it, even if it never was exposed to water beyond its rated resistance. Samsung is currently getting sued over advertising them being submerged in salt water at beaches and refusing to fix the resultant water damage.

With that out of the way, I'm afraid there's not much of anything we can do here as we're not privy to the details of your phone repair. They try to give you a call back time that should fit, but unusually long calls can cascade through the day and make everyone not get calls when they are supposed to. If you don't get it soon, you can send a private message to Koodo via Facebook Messenger or DM via Twitter but there is an unknown wait time on there before you get spoken to.

This phone 100% has never been submerged in water. To me that's pretty shady business when they have to "get you" with hidden clauses though. This I will guarantee is not what happened. I still have not received an answer as to why they came to the conclusion they did. Thanks for all your advice and help I really appreciate. I am just simply getting the run around from koodo. I just want to get all my facts from them this way when dealing with the proper authorities to resolve this issue they just do not want to do the right thing with I somewhat know what I am talking about. They are currently saying that they send to third party and they decide the outcome. At the end of the day I believe that I have the right to know what I would possibily being paying $400 to fix. They will not give me that information. I had to reject quote and am now having my phone sent back to me that is useless. They are telling me once the phone is returned to the kiosk they MAY have more information on the problem. So how is this helpful at all to me? These cell phone companies make way too much money that they can just abuse their customer like. Just give me what I signed up for a phone that is in working order. If it's been damaged to fault of ours then have the dyme know why? How is that unreasonable. The feed back from this forum has been more helpful than koodo. I would love some advice on which provider to use next. Why should a person be bullied into extended warranty to have a phone that hasn't even lasted 6 months. YIKES
Userlevel 1
Now I'm being told the kiosk should be the one to tell me what is wrong with it again as we speak, So we took the hour trip in and result from kiosk is they have no information but physical damage. No explanation, nothing just physical damage. So when you go to a restaurant would you pay for your meal before you ate it. Wow koodo really you want me to pay a bill you have no reasoning for.