Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Bad ESN/IMEI in USA (T-Mobile), Ok for Koodo?

I'm looking to buy a Samsung Galaxy S5 from eBay. Many of the bad ESN/IMEI phones are much cheaper and provide the IMEI to validate for yourself. When I enter the number of these phones into the Koodo IMEI checker, see below, it says that it should work on their network and that the phone isn't reported stolen. How accurate is this checker and would there be much difficulty unlocking the phone? http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/sim-cards-and-non-koodo-phones/how-do-i-know-if-my-phone-will-work-on-the-koodo-network

12 replies

Userlevel 7
No because it's stolen Or someone lost it And they reported it as such
Chad Burr wrote:

But when I enter the IMEI number on the Koodo site it says the phone is in fact not reported stolen or lost.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

If this website says the IMEI is fine, then you're okay: http://www.protectyourdata.ca/check-the-status-of-your-device-in-canada/
Chad Burr wrote:

That's great, this website too says the phone is ok to use.
Userlevel 2
Chad Burr wrote:

Shame on you for supporting / buying a potentialy lost or stolen phone..
Userlevel 7
Koodo's IMEI checker isn't accurate. The blacklist Ahmad linked to is the right one to check.
Thanks for the answers. I am confused though as to why the Koodo checker says that a T-Mobile phone will work on their network while many other websites claim that this is not the case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There could be a delay when a phone is reported stolen and when the blacklist is updated (especially if from the U.S.) Again it's buyer beware. If it's been stolen, know the risk that the phone may be blacklisted at anytime
Userlevel 7
Dennis wrote:

There could be a delay when a phone is reported stolen and when the blacklist is updated (especia...

And your contributing to the problem of people stealing phones and selling them off to cash in. You're possibly financing criminal activity.
Dennis wrote:

There could be a delay when a phone is reported stolen and when the blacklist is updated (especia...

It's presumptuous to believe that all bad IMEIs are due to stolen phones as there are other reasons for it, so please don't get vindictive. Thanks for the info Dennis.
Userlevel 7
Dennis wrote:

Okay I won't come from a vengeful state. Other than Bad debt with T-Mobile there's no other reason I can think of.
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

Newbs have been known to trash their IMEI (to a generic one, blacklisted by default) by misusing tools like QPST. I use QPST myself to add support for bands the phone has blocked in software. Moto G is a good example. XT1032 (global) and XT1034 (USA). Using QPST, either model can support all the bands. So, yes. We're stretching hair, but it IS possible that there may be other reasons (than bad debt towards carriers).