Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Back up and restore Note 4

Userlevel 5
I think I seriously need to refresh my Note 4.  I have had it for 1.5 years and it is getting extremely slow.  Even simple things like texting, there is a significant lag when typing.  How can I back it up, (apps, contacts, texts, pics etc) factory reboot, then restore everything I backed up

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Try backing things up with Dropbox or a cloud based app. Save your pictures to the cloud(dropbox) same with videos and other things you want saved. Then do a factory reset in settings.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can save all your contacts and such to your Google account, just go to settings - accounts - Google and select all the things there to sync. Photos back up to google photos, if you don't have a Google Photos account yet definitely set one up and set it to back up automatically every time you connect to a wifi connection to help never lose a single picture or video. As a great thing to do since you'll have everything backup to cloud services is to preform a factory reset after every update to the Android software where the version number of Android changes. Many things get changed during these updates with how things work and I've done this constantly and NEVER EVER had a single issue with any device after an update while many complain about getting worse battery life or things crashing ect. So it's a goodd idea IMO and keeps your device running like new always. I also have made it a habit to turn my device off and on every morning after I take it off the charger and that also helps keep things working as best as possible. Just some tips.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you are still running 4.4.2, in the[b] Settings => [b]Accounts => [b]Backup and reset check on using Google servers, backing up data, accounts and automatic restore. This is important if you have numerous Android devices, since you want to be able to automatically point to the correct one when you restore.

Go into your Google account and sync now.

Your pix, music, etc is best handled by something like Dropbox as Chadwick mentioned. I personally prefer to keep my media files (music, pix, etc) on a separate SD card so that's never an issue. Eject the card before doing the [b]Factory Data Reset.

Signing back in to your Google account will bring back your contacts and basic system data. If you want to [b]restore, best to be on wifi. Don't be surprised if this takes quite a while... all those apps and updates will have to be re-installed from the Google servers. Migrating from one tablet to another went very smoothly, but took the better part of 5 hours to accomplish, so patience can be a prerequisite.

Userlevel 5
I will say ever since updating to Marshmallow things got worse, but it was starting before then. Maybe some sort of OS fragmentation since upgrading Kitkat --> Lollipop ---> Marshmallow.  My tab is paid off in November, and I will upgrade then, but right now it is actually getting pretty frustrating 
Userlevel 3
Go to the Samsung website on a pc and download their sw for backing up the device. Fairly easy to use and support is available there too.
Badge +4
Adding to grampad's and every one else's suggestions, Samsung Smart Switch replaces Samsung Kies for most devices. A factory reset is often suggested right after an OS upgrade. I'll go one further and wipe the cache partition to ensure that no residual files or fragments have been left behind from a previous OS installation. There are two methods to factory reset your device. One is the software method, found within the device itself, (Settings > Backup & Reset). The other involves pressing a combination of hardware buttons. Press and hold Power, Volume Up and the Home button until you see 'Recovery booting' in blue text at the top of the screen. Release the buttons, wait roughly twenty seconds and you should see the Android System recovery menu. Volume up/down buttons will allow you to scroll through the menu options. The Power button acts like an 'enter' button and selects the desired menu option. The advantage to the hardware button method is that it allows you to wipe the cache partition, whereas the software method does not allow you to do this. I've added a link to a short video that shows how to get your Note 4 into Recovery mode. Note 4 Recovery mode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbf-DhFMcVU Samsung Smart Switch > scroll down mid page to see Windows or Mac download buttons. http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/smartswitch/