Koodo Community
Solved

Avoiding roaming charges while travelling within Canada

How do I turn mobile roaming off on my Samsung Galaxy s3 to ensure I don't get charged for text messages or calls. I'm travelling from Ontario to Manitoba.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What plan do you have? If you have a Canada wide plan, there is no extra charge for text and calls.
We've got the Canada-wide talk and text. There's a little R beside the service indicator which is making us a little nervous!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ruth Fox wrote:

We've got the Canada-wide talk and text. There's a little R beside the service indicator which i...

I'm not sure about "a little R beside the service indicator"... But if your plan is the Canada wide plan, you should be ok.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ruth Fox wrote:

We've got the Canada-wide talk and text. There's a little R beside the service indicator which i...

You may be on one of the extended network mandated by the CRTC this past year. Canadian carriers without a presence in a particular geographic area roam at no cost to the consumer in those areas. You may be connected to TBay Tel or MTS cellular towers to make calls etc., but you will not be charged for that use. Have a look for the term "Extended Service Areas" both here and on the web for more info. If you are very close to the US border, you may have times when your phone connects to a US tower. Just turn International Roaming off on your phone to avoid data charges. Incoming texts are free. You can choose to wait to answer calls until you are connected to a Canadian carrier again.
Ruth Fox wrote:

Thank you very much, Mayumi and dfbutt. You've been very helpful.

While traveling abroad, roaming charges become the bane of cellular phone users. It's a great headache for any traveler, how to evade getting whacked with extreme data and international roaming charges. Shutting off device to avoid roaming charges is not a good solution. Before another story come out in the public regarding customer suffering mobile phone bill shock at overseas, you need to update your phone with latest app Roamer. This app ensures you stay connected abroad with your regular numbers while avoiding roaming charges. You can read its specification and working details at http://www.thegreatapps.com/apps/roamer/. Hope you will like it and enjoy the journey without stress.