Koodo Community
Solved

Avoiding charges for using data

Userlevel 2
My son has a OnePlus2 and when it forces a reboot it changes the phone setting to allow data. I have a plan with no data (for good reason). We were away and had no wifi access and it forced a reboot for some reason. After it rebooted, the phone downloaded some Snapchats that must have been waiting and incurred a $5 charge for using 31 MB. It happened again a few days later and I was charged another $5 for .59Mb. That's right, .59MB !!! As far as I am concerned there should be a way to prevent any data consumption from Koodo's end, not just the phone setting. This has happened a few times and to be honest I am not going to let it happen again. Can someone from Koodo please advise or comment. I don't want to leave.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Zak's dad, you can log into your self serve account and put a data block on the line so data can not be used at all if you like.
Userlevel 2
that's great advise. thanks. I dont see exactly where I do this though.

My Profile / Data Settings/ Notifications and Blocks...and then what?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm Zak's Dad wrote:

My Profile / Data Settin...

It is an add-on. Data Block w/Picture Messaging.
Mobile Services, Manage (next to add-ons), $2/month Data Block w/ Pic Msg.
Userlevel 2
I'm Zak's Dad wrote:

well that's nice to know, but seriously? I have to pay for it? I guess that is one way to get money from someone who doesn't want to use data. This is definitely helping me make up my mind. I appreciate the feedback even though it's not what I want to hear lol.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm Zak's Dad wrote:

Yea, I don't agree with the charge either.
If your son doesn't use data at all you could change the APN settings in the phone to something random or create a dummy APN and set it as default so that a data connection cannot be made.
Userlevel 2
I'm Zak's Dad wrote:

Now that is the answer I was looking for. let's see if I can figure out how to do that! Oh one more thing, if I do that it will it only restrict data consumption not the phone and SMS ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm Zak's Dad wrote:

It should be somewhere like: Settings, Mobile Data, Mobile Networks, Access Point Names (APN).
This will only disable data and MMS from working. Calling and SMS should still work fine.

Userlevel 2
I'm Zak's Dad wrote:

I found it 🙂 It gives me the ability to delete the koodo APN connection so I will give that a try. Thanks again Allan. This has been really helpful. I should have posted earlier! 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm Zak's Dad wrote:

Try restarting the phone and see if it re-appears. Also remember that if you want to use data in the future you will have to enter in the appropriate APN details. Happy to have helped you!
Userlevel 2
I'm Zak's Dad wrote:

for sure. thanks again for the tips. hopefully when he needs data he has a job lmao!
I'm Zak's Dad wrote:

I am being charged $22.00 per month for the data block? Why is thst
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm Zak's Dad wrote:

Can you take a screenshot of where you're seeing this? Something doesn't sound right.
Do you have multiple add-ons? $2 for the data block and $20 for a different add-on?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm Zak's Dad wrote:

Patricia, you do not have a charge for $22 worth of data block. What you did buy, is a roaming add on to the US for $40, that is why your last bill was higher.