Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Are there any Android phones that got a slide out keyboard?

I prefer using the slide out keyboard because I am not sure how sensitive the touch screen keyboard is. How sensitive are they anyways? I always love the slide out keyboard, but if there isn't that many then I might as well go for the touchscreen. What are your opinion about them? The Android I got it has a slide out keyboard and a touchscreen.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
While Koodo doesn't offer any slide out keyboard devices at the moment (actually it's rare to find a device nowadays with one). There are some things you should consider. The great thing about android is if you don't like something, there's an app for that. You can even change the keyboards. My favorite is swiftkey. With swiftkey you can just trace the word you're wanting and like magic the phone knows what you're trying to spell.. there's lots of other keyboards in the Play Market too. BlackBerry has a Q10 device that has a qwerty keyboard! It's also running the all new version of BlackBerry which is really fun to use. Also in BlackBerry is the Z10 which some have said is the most close to a physical keyboard they've used. Aamof I typed all of this on my Z10! Once you get the hang of a virtual keyboard you'll appreciate all the extra screen space having one gives you. Yes there's a learning curve. But it's worth it.
Userlevel 7
I learned how to use touch screens right away when I got my Captivate 2 years ago so it was never an issue for me. Plus there's SwiftKey, which practically reads your mind. I love having the extra space for viewing websites, videos, etc. Managers of Mobile Shops get 9900s to use for work and while it is nice to type on and great for work emails, I still like my bigger screens. Try out one of your friend's phones or ask for a demo at the store.
Userlevel 1
Jonathan I wrote:

I learned how to use touch screens right away when I got my Captivate 2 years ago so it was never...

Bestbuy are still selling them http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?id=pcat17080&type=page&qp=q70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d30312d3031~~cabcat0800000%23%230%23%233er~~nf1230%7C%7C536c696465204f7574204b6579626f617264&list=y&nrp=15&sc=phoneOfficeSP&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuid&usc=abcat0800000
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

I learned how to use touch screens right away when I got my Captivate 2 years ago so it was never...

Unfortunately that is the American Best Buy website, which means none of those carriers are available here and a good chunk of those phones wouldn't be for sale here, I imagine.
Userlevel 1
Jonathan I wrote:

UNLOCKED LG Optimus Chat LG-C555 3G Google Android Phone, Slide Out Keyboard, Ebay is selling them for $22.95, free shipping http://www.ebay.com/bhp/cell-phone-slide-out-keyboard
Jonathan I wrote:

i loved the optimus chat, it was a great little phone 🙂
Jonathan I wrote:

That is the one I got, MatB and Melissa. I love this phone. I don't find it bulky at all. But the next phone i will definitely try out the Swiftkey though. Thank you everyone!
Userlevel 1
I used to be like you Shellina, I didn't think I'd like having a virtual keyboard, until I tried it, now I would never go back, especially as slide out keyboards make the phone bulkier anyhow. There's a reason they have dropped drastically in popularity. Like others have mentioned, there are several different keyboards available on the Play store, try them on the phone you have now (I also recommend Swiftkey) for a couple of weeks, you may change your perception of them. It would open up the variety of phones you can consider too. You wouldn't have to be restrained by the slide out. Just give it an honest effort, see how it goes.
I will do that Humberto. Thank you!
Userlevel 3
I like using Swiftkey. Periodically it gets the wrong word but it seems to work well most of the time. Plus I find it kind of fun. I can't quite remember but I think I've seen Bluetooth keyboards for phones. So you could add that to any current phone as pretty much all of them support Bluetooth. I'm not sure if it would be a snap on case or a separate device. It could be really annoying having two devices. ...hmm... A quick look doesn't show any of these - there only seems to be keyboards for tablets which don't always work with phones. I have a full size Bluetooth keyboard I occasionally connect to my phone. It doesn't really fit in my pocket though 🙂 Just a thought. I'd give Swiftkey a try first.
Well I would not want to carry a full size keyboard with me either....lol! That would look pretty dumb or lame when your in public and people are giving you weird looks. I think I will go and try out the Swiftkey app. I will definitely give it a try.