Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Apps for a smart phone

I'm new to a smart phone - but I'm learning. My question is: will iphone apps works on my Samsung Galaxy SII

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No, they can't Jan... but most apps that are available for iPhone are also created for Android 🙂
Sophia wrote:

No, they can't Jan... but most apps that are available for iPhone are also created for Android :)

Thank you! I was just wondering:)
Sophia wrote:

No, they can't Jan... but most apps that are available for iPhone are also created for Android :)

Now I know and can stop wondering!
If you go to the Google Play store and search for the type of app you are looking for, you'll be amazed at what options there are. If you need some help, just let us know what kind of app you need, and I'm sure several of the Android folks here will throw in some suggestions as to what the best apps would be for your application.
Thanks - I've done that and will again but it just seems there are so many IPhone apps advertised I wondered if they would work on my phone..
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jan Matthews wrote:

Thanks - I've done that and will again but it just seems there are so many IPhone apps advertised...

Well the most popular iPhone apps such as Facebook, WhatsApp, Angry Birds, to name a few, all have their Android equivalent. In fact, you'd be hard pressed in fact to find an app that is advertised for the iPhone that doesn't exist for Android 🙂
Userlevel 5
Jan Matthews wrote:

Thanks - I've done that and will again but it just seems there are so many IPhone apps advertised...

Yeah the best way to think of this is comparing computers. If you have a Windows computer or an Apple computer they both have unique programs that you can't get on the other one, but they do have some that overlap. However since they are running different operating systems (Windows/OSX) you need to buy the version specific for your device, and you can't run programs made for the other device unless you get the proper version. Hope this analogy helps 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jan Matthews wrote:

Comparing smartphones to computers isn't exactly the best, as you can run virtual machines to get other OSs and apps working. Not exactly possible with a smartphone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jan Matthews wrote:

No it is possible to run a different OS on a phone as well with some type of software
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The only apps that are cross platform are Android apps will work on Blackberry 10 devices like the Blackberry Z10. They just need to be converted from an APK file which Android reads to a BAR file which BB10 reads, and then side loaded. All other apps can not be used across other platforms like was stated above.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

The only apps that are cross platform are Android apps will work on Blackberry 10 devices like th...

These are not guaranteed to work (and they work less often than not) and it's not a simple process for those that aren't tech savvy. You need to download DDPB and the correct JRE and everything requires admin/root privileges which I can hardly recommend to a novice user. While we're on the subject, I use http://apps.goodereader.com/ for downloading .bar files so conversion is unnecessary. If you can't find a .bar file your need, the site will most likely have an .apk for download which you can convert using http://apk2bar.unker.net/ but I recommend converting manually and signing the file yourself for maximum compatability, though that requires additional runtimes to be installed and is far from simple.