Koodo Community
Solved

Anyone have any experience with the Cat S60?

Really can't make up my mind with the Cat S60 so I was wondering if anyone has any experience of it? I know to a large extent you are paying for the infa red camera, but as I work in the building trade I can see regular uses for it. 

What puts me off is simply the price and the fact that it's gorilla glass 4 not 5 (though that's not cat's fault) 

Half of me thinks I should get it now as my cheap alcatel phone is driving me up the wall with its slowness, the other half says buy a Sony aqua m5 or e5 to tide me over for 6 to 12 months (however long it lasts) and then get the cat s60 replacement which is bound to have gorilla glass 5, which looks dam useful to me. 

Anyone have any advice?

-------------------------------------------------------------
Relax: best ringtonessamsung ringtonedance ringtone

3 replies

Badge +4
Stay away from anything with less than 2 GB of RAM if you're looking for performance. Sony doesn't use Gorilla Glass on the two models you're interested in and use 'scratch-resistant' glass instead. You can order a tempered glass screen protector for the Cat S60 or the Sony M5 from Amazon or eBay. I'm not sure of the availability of rugged, waterproof cases for the M5, but if they're available, you could make the M5 almost as durable as the S60. I haven't used the CAT S60 either. Apart from the FLIR camera, you're also paying for a device with MIL-STD-810G certification and durability that goes beyond what most smartphones are designed to protect against, (e.g. salt, dust, humidity, rain, vibration, solar radiation, transport and thermal shock resistant). Below is a link that compares all three phones. I agree with Goran, that if Gorilla Glass 5 is what's holding you back, the M5 might be an option worth considering for now. http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7928&idPhone3=8113&sSearch2=sony+m5+a&idPhone2=7464
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I haven't used cat phones but for general advise if you have a use for the FLIR then go ahead and get it. You're buying tbi phone for the FLIR and that's it. Cat has other tough phones if you need that but not flir. It's cheaper than most dedicated FLIR cameras and is very tough. Cat phones are known for taking quite a beating. Another option is there are FLIR accessories for Android and iphones that you can get. As fo gorilla glas 4 vs 5, it's already meant to handle 6 foot drops. If that's a deal breaker for you as well then I guess get a cheaper android phone until cat launches new flir gorilla glass 5 smartphone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

I haven't used cat phones but for general advise if you have a use for the FLIR then go ahead and...

The Gorilla Glass 4 on my G5 did not survive a 3 foot drop on concrete. Of course, that phone isn't exactly rugged, but I'm still not impressed with Corning's product.