Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Any way to get some type of service with Koodo prepaid in the USA?

Is there some sort of add-on, or package i could add to my existing Koodo prepaid number so that I can get any sort of basic service in the USA (even something as basic as receiving text messages).

I have an unlocked phone, so I could buy a US sim card for the few days that I'm there, but that doesn't help much because I'd like to be able to see any attempted calls and text & voice messages being left on my Canadian number (I don't really need to be able to send messages or accept/start calls)

I honestly wasn't expecting my phone service to go COMPLETELY dead when I entered the US - never happened when I was with bell or rogers.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Unfortunately, for prepaid customers the local US SIM card or an alternate phone are pretty well your only choices if you stick to wireless networks, both of which leave you with a US number that your Cdn contacts won't automatically reach.

If you are willing to live with wifi only service, which will work with prepaid, check out Text Free by Pinger on the PlayStore. You will get an alternate number and be able to call and text with a wifi connection only, then maybe leave an announcement on your voicemail and send your current contacts a text message referencing your temporary number, which can be from your local area code.

There are a number of parallel solutions you can investigate if you do a search for "wifi calling". For others interested in pursuing this, there is no need to unlock your phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There is a number of options for US.Roaming And US long distance add-on's. Check out this link https://www.koodomobile.com/add-ons# Hope that helps
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

There is a number of options for US.Roaming And US long distance add-on's. Check out this link h...

Unfortunately, those are for monthly customers only, and don't apply to prepaid plans unless something has changed recently.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

There is a number of options for US.Roaming And US long distance add-on's. Check out this link h...

yea wasn't 100% sure as the handout from Koodo i have, there is a blue bubble above it that states " Add to any Koodo Plan". Sorry if i gave incorrect information
Userlevel 4
I answer with another question. Is is possible to set the Koodo service to call forwardind  sending calls to a number in US?
Tiz wrote:

I answer with another question. Is is possible to set the Koodo service to call forwardind  ...

I'd also like to hear if that's possible!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tiz wrote:

I answer with another question. Is is possible to set the Koodo service to call forwardind  ...

I am going to say no as of right now, but i wouldnt be surprised if it was a possibility. Give them a call in the morning to verify. I wouldn't try it without finding out for sure first, as any answered calls could potentially be billed as normal roaming or out of country minutes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tiz wrote:

Just found on another post that you CAN do it, but you will be billed as i stated above. This is from Chad Burr(mobile master) post about the same issue "Call forwarded calls to the states are billed as if you were roaming and using the phone a without a roaming plan "... Sorry guys. But you can still call to verify if anything has changed . Call when they open up tomorrow
Userlevel 4
Tiz wrote:

I have to verify it but I think you can have a Tracfone SIM with a Canadrian number but good to be used in US. This would solve the problem of roaming.
Userlevel 7
Tiz wrote:

Hi Chad, that doesnt apply to prepaid. Tracfone doesn't function in Canada nor can you get a Canadian number for it
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tiz wrote:

what doesnt? The blue bubbles i stated earlier? if so, okay thank you, was curious myself
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tiz wrote:

The only way Tracfone will work is if you are in a city that closely borders the states. Like myself such as Windsor,Canada to Detroit,USA as they can pick up the US tower from here . Tracfones cannot get a Canadian number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tiz wrote:

Tracfone & Koodo prepaid services both die within 1/2 km of the US/Cdn border. Call forwarding does not work on Tracfone at all or for Koodo prepaid accounts.

Have been a customer of both for years. One way to get bi-lateral service on prepaid is to have a VoIP number (different supplier such as CallCentric) as your main contact point and then forwarding those calls to one or both separate cell numbers in Canada and the US. Gets a little complicated and $$$ for a short stay, but very popular with snowbirds who need regular long-term service that retains their regular phone service while travelling.
Userlevel 4
Thank you, Chad. I remember that in the past it was possible to obtain a Canadian number from Tracfone. Eventually the service has been withdrawn.  I like to spend winters in Arizona and, for this reason, I am always looking for affordable phone services. North American providers are quite greedy (in comparison with European providers). This year I will try to obtain a data only SIM from Verizon (best service in Arizona) or Tracfone and use Skype.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Important note: forwarding your Canadian calls via Koodo to the US is possible for monthly customers only, but it gets very expensive very fast.