Koodo Community

Community

Any phone for prepaid plans - bring your own phone?

Can I bring any type of phone to a prepaid plan, e.g. iPhone 7 or Google Pixel, or am I restricted to certain older models/types of phones?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Meretta, you can bring any Koodo or unlocked compatible phone to use on Koodo's prepaid or postpaid service.
Userlevel 4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Hi Meretta, you can bring any Koodo or unlocked compatible phone to use on Koodo's prepaid or pos...

@meretta
You can bring Koodo and Telus phone, as well.
Thanks, Paul. I'm wondering, though, what constitutes a "compatible" phone? Is there specific criteria or a list available citing those phones that are acceptable?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
meretta wrote:

Thanks, Paul. I'm wondering, though, what constitutes a "compatible" phone? Is there specific cri...

Any phone you buy new in Canada would be compatible (as opposed to phones from Europe or Asia)... although phones on another network than Telus would require to be unlocked.
Userlevel 4
meretta wrote:

Thanks, Paul. I'm wondering, though, what constitutes a "compatible" phone? Is there specific cri...

@meretta

Compatible means if it supports certain types of frequencies to make it simple.

If the phone was used on Rogers and Bell network it will be definitely compatible with Telus Network.

You have to be careful with former Mobilicity and Wind phones which operated on AWS frequencies not compatible with Telus network.
Userlevel 4
meretta wrote:

I forgot to add that GSM only phones won't work on Telus network, either. It has to be at least 3G compatible phone. Only chatr (Rogers) supports almost obsolete pure GSM 2G network.
Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate it!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
meretta wrote:

If you are unsure you can always go here: http://willmyphonework.net/, enter your phone and it provides a good enough answer wether it will work with Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
meretta wrote:

If you are shopping international sites (US and other) look for AT&T compatible equipment. Many vendors will not know about Koodo.