Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Any Idea on when the Nexus 4 will get Android 4.4 KitKat?

As the Title says, just wondering when to expect the Android 4.4 update as Koodo has already released the Nexus 5?

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Nobody knows as Google has just stated it will arrive on the Nexus 4 & Nexus 7 in the following weeks. That was last week when the Nexus 5 was released so just keep trying checking for updates by going to settings - about phone - system updates and hit check for updates.
there are some preliminary 4.4 builds on xda-developers for the mako/nexus 4 if you are adventurous... However, if stability is a concern to you (and I don't see why it shouldnt be 🙂 then wait for the official Google release...
Userlevel 7
I just want to point out that when it comes to Nexus devices, updates are pushed directly from Google. Koodo has nothing to do with updates on Nexus devices.
Very soon. HTC has confirmed the HTC One Google Play Edition will get it in about 2 weeks; and the Nexus devices will certain get the update before the One.
May be on 15th November not because HTC claimed it. But because there is a kitkat competition going on through out the world till 15 th of this month so on the final day of competition we will have this update.
Starting today, Nexus 7 (2012 and 2013) and Nexus 10 will be getting a tasty update to Android 4.4, KitKat. No word yet for Nexus 4.
I already have it 🙂 catch up bro
Userlevel 2
ImCanadian wrote:

I already have it 🙂 catch up bro

It's being done in waves. That means some people will get it before others.
I just noticed google now has the factory images online, I'm just gonna install that instead of waiting for the ota update.
Userlevel 2
Jordan Hardy wrote:

I just noticed google now has the factory images online, I'm just gonna install that instead of ...

A link would be nice.
Jordan Hardy wrote:

I just noticed google now has the factory images online, I'm just gonna install that instead of ...

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#occamkrt16o should work. Just look for the one that says Mako (Nexus 4)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jordan Hardy wrote:

Ya the factory images have been up for a couple days now. Anyone using them keep in mind that it will erase everything on your phone & put it back to a factory fresh state. If you don't want to lose everything and just want to update then find the OTA file for the Nexus 4 or any of the Nexus devices set to get 4.4
Userlevel 2
Jordan Hardy wrote:

Won't the OTA do the reset anyways?
Jordan Hardy wrote:

Nope, OTA is akin to an in place upgrade. It doesn't reset stuff. I'm kinda wishing I'd waited now cause I just flashed the factory image and now the phone's not even reading half the storage. it says I only have 5.67GB storage space. WTF!?!? supposed to be a nexus 4 16GB not a 6!!
I've seen a few threads about 16GB version phones losing half their storage after flashing. Here are the steps to fix it: As dellenrules mentioned in post #48 there appears to be an easier way to fix the problem: -Boot into STOCK RECOVERY (If you are running a custom recovery you must flash to stock) -Clear cache -Factory reset If for some reason that doesn't work, you can try this method: First, you'll need fastboot.exe on your computer. If this happened to you, you should have fastboot installed If not, see section A of efrant's "back-to-stock" guide. Next, You'll want the latest occam image. https://developers.google.com/androi...s/images#occam Finally, boot into the bootloader and run these commands... Code: fastboot erase boot fastboot erase cache fastboot erase recovery fastboot erase system fastboot erase userdata fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-mako-makoz10o.img fastboot reboot-bootloader fastboot -w update image-occam-jdq39.zip Enjoy your 16GB again. Note #1 If you encounter a boot loop after this procedure boot into stock recovery (use volume up and power to open the recovery menu) then wipe cache and factory reset. Note #2 erikieperikie tested restoring a Nandroid backup after completing this process. The backup applied successfully and they still had 16GB user space. Details here.
Alnor Exton wrote:

I've seen a few threads about 16GB version phones losing half their storage after flashing. He...

Thanks for the very detailed recovery steps Alnor. Greatly appreciated. I actually got lucky in that I flashed 4.4 and then once all the setup stuff was done I just did a factory reset through android itself. amazingly enough, the simple stuff actually worked this time lol!
punagai wrote:

Sorry,I have no idea.
Sorry,I have no idea.