Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Android troubles, searching for new phone. Ideas?

Hey everyone, I'm looking into getting a new phone. I currently own the Samsung Galaxy Ace. I'm considering buying the newer version; Samsung Galaxy Ace 2X; because I have had issues with android before I'm also considering the iPhone 4 or the iPhone 5. Which would be the best option? If you have other suggestions Id love to hear them.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The best option is the Nexus 4, it's a high end phone for a low end price. I have the Galaxy S3 & Galaxy S4 & Note 2 & iPhone 4 & Nexus 4, and of all those I use the Nexus 4 as my main device. It's as fast as the Galaxy S4 but less than half the price. Try to avoid low end Android devices like the Galaxy Ace line as there's more chance of you having issues. The Nexus 4 has a glass back and front so make sure to get a case for it to protect it, try to get one that still shows off the cool glitter pattern on the back that dances in the light. Grab the Nexus 4 you'll absolutely love it and have no issues with it, it also has the newest version of Android and always will months before any other phone on the market.
Userlevel 6
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

The best option is the Nexus 4, it's a high end phone for a low end price. I have the Galaxy S3 &...

[i]"[...] I have the Galaxy S3 & Galaxy S4 & Note 2 & iPhone 4 & Nexus 4 [...]" Wait.... what?? 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The best option is the Nexus 4, it's a high end phone for a low end price. I have the Galaxy S3 &...

Was typing on my BlackBerry Q10 and started with an & instead of a , so I just kept going sorry lol. (Q10 is hard for me to type on the keys are too small for my big hands)
Userlevel 6

Come on Paul 😛 You? iPhone4? What is the world coming to!!! 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Don't worry it was Actually just a tester from Koodo and I forgot I gave it back the other day
Userlevel 6

Almost got ya there 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Haha... I was about to call Kid a closet Apple Fan 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Nope only other OS I support is BlackBerry 10 which I absolutely love and am super excited for the BlackBerry Z30 to become available soon. It's the BlackBerry 10 device I've been waiting for since the Z10 was released and it looks awesome and the 5" display is where BB10 will really shine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
My advice regarding the phones you've mentioned: 1. A flat-out no to Ace 2X (or any other entry-level Android phone). 2. No to a new iPhone 4. It's a 3-year old phone that's getting discontinued next month. Not worth $300. Not a bad used phone purchase at $150-175 on the resale market though. 3. No to a new iPhone 5 right now. A new one is being released next month and will likely cost the same as the current one. Now for my suggestions (from phones offered by Koodo): 1. Entry-level: your only choice is a Nokia Lumia 520. It's a fantastic value and offers a very fluid experience. 2. Mid-range: Nexus 4. At $300 ($250 now if purchased online from the Google Play store or as low as $200 for an 8GB model not offered by Koodo), this is a steal and this phone can keep up with flagship phones. 3. Flagship: iPhone 5S (to be released next month) or Samsung Galaxy S4. I also have advice regarding non-Koodo devices, but I'll share that with you only if you're considering buying elsewhere.
I've been using the ace 2x since December. I give it a resounding NO, unless you only use your phone to talk and text. If you want to use any apps, it's a very frustrating experience as it's slow, laggy and freezes. I have to constantly clear ram to keep the phone running smooth at all. Google just dropped the nexus 4 by $100 and that's currently the best phone to get in that price range. I'm personally waiting for the nexus 5 to replace my ace 2x. What phone to get kind of depends on how heavy of a user you are and what you plan to do on it.