Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Android fix required. Can't use text or emailing application. How do I fix?

Notification: 'Messaging has stopped working:6

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
A hard reboot would most likely fix it. It's usually holding the home button and power button for 30 seconds, but some phones don't have a home button google how to hard reset________ (your phone) Also did you recently update your device software?
Badge +4
Which Android phone do you have Jacqueline? Are you using the stock messaging app, Hangouts or a third party messaging app like GO SMS? For older Android versions (4.4 and below) and if using the stock Messaging app, go to: Settings > Apps > ALL - scroll down to and tap Messaging - tap Clear data and Clear cache and reboot the phone. For newer Android versions (5.0 and above) and if using the stock Messaging app, go to: Settings > Apps - scroll down to and tap Messaging - tap Storage - tap Clear data/Clear cache and reboot the phone. Let us know if this works. The same instructions can be applied to Hangouts or a third party messaging app. Locate the name of the file using the method above and clear the apps' data and cache.
Userlevel 7
Once these suggestions fix your issue (or at least IF), I recommend going into your messages app settings and change the option for auto-deleting old messages in conversations. I would set it to under 1,000 per thread, if you haven't already. My cousin had this issue with his messages app and after he deleted a thread that contained 12,000 messages on his first gen Moto G it ran much better.
Userlevel 3
Old texts are a lot like old emails = not necessary. Jonathan has a good suggestion and I set my text thread limit even lower.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
grampad wrote:

Old texts are a lot like old emails = not necessary. Jonathan has a good suggestion and I set my ...

I like to keep my old emails, they're on a remote server anyway. For those wanting to do the same with their texts, there are message backup options.