Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Android 5.02 update for Moto G 2nd generation?

When is the Android 5.02 update (or any update to Lollipop for that matter) going to be available for the 2014 Moto G 2nd generation? I'm still waiting.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Koodo only ever carried the first Gen Moto G so koodo wouldn't be responsible to push the 2.nd Gen update to you. Check with the original carrier or mototola. Also be sure the Motorola Update Service is kept current through the Google play store.
I bought the Moto G 2nd gen, unlocked from Staples. There is no original carrier. The Motorola update service only runs on first gen Moto G's. The 2nd gen's don't have it, don't use it, and can't install that app. So if Kodoo doesn't push out the Android 5.2 update for Moto G 2nd gen, how do I get it???
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Marc wrote:

I bought the Moto G 2nd gen, unlocked from Staples. There is no original carrier. The Motorol...

Have you manually checked for the update in the phones settings menu under about device? Motorola should push the update to your device and I believe they already have awhile ago
Marc wrote:

I bought the Moto G 2nd gen, unlocked from Staples. There is no original carrier. The Motorol...

I've been trying that every day for a month now. Motorola has pushed out the Android 5.02 update for Moto G first and second gen, but I'm guessing that the carrier (koodo) has to choose to make it available. I'm stuck waiting with no indication of when and if it's going to happen.
Userlevel 7
Marc wrote:

Motorola will push it to your device. Koodo has nothing to do with it. Contact Motorola for more information. Keep in mind also the Motorola and Google use a staggered release scheme so not every device is updated at the same time. This way they can catch problems before they become widespread.
Marc wrote:

Motorola says once they release the update, which they did weeks ago, it's up to the carrier(s) to push it to the device. This why somebody on Bell for example could have received the update before somebody on Rogers or Koodo. Koodo has everything to do with it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Marc wrote:

The carrier (Koodo in this case) has nothing to do with updates for devices not purchased from them only devices they've sold. Your device is a factory unlocked device sold directly to customers by Motorola through a retailer (in this case staples), Motorola will directly push the update to you and in fact you don't even need to have a SIM Card in the phone and you could get the update over a wifi connection. Your best bet is to contact Motorola Canada support or try their Facebook page.
Userlevel 7
Marc wrote:

According to this Motorola Article, you can update the phone now using a USB cable and Motorola Device Manager (MDM) . Worth checking out IMO

https://motorola-global-portal.custhe...
Marc wrote:

I've tried that. The software hangs and doesn't detect my phone.
Userlevel 7
Marc wrote:

And did you try the solution to that issue here:

Connection Issues? If MDM doesn’t detect your device, try the following: From your device’s home screen, touch the Menu button, then touch Settings. Touch Developer Options, then turn off USB Debugging if it is turned on. Disconnect and reconnect your device to the USB cable. After connecting, touch the top of your device’s display and swipe down to pull down the notification bar. Change the USB connection setting to Media Device (MTP).

Marc wrote:

Tried all of that. Debugging isn't on, USB is set on Media device, my computer sees, reads and writes to the phone perfectly, the Motorola software doesn't. Disconnecting, rebooting, none of it makes a difference.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Marc wrote:

Have you tried taking out the SIM Card and then checking for the update manually over wifi? The Koodo Moto G (1dt Gen) just started receiving the update a day ago, is it possible that Motorola had stopped the roll out to the Moto G 2nd Gen and just started it again yesterday? I know that when they started rolling it out to the G second Gen it wasn't 5.0.2 it was just 5.0 or 5.0.1 maybe they just haven't pushed it yet to your handset. Also trying to update with your PC connected make sure to try all USB ports as many people have detection issues with one port then it works on another me included.
Marc wrote:

just tried it. No luck.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Marc wrote:

I'd wait a week and see if like I said the update just hasn't been pushed to your specific handset during the staggered update rollout
Userlevel 7
Marc wrote:

Is your device rooted?
Marc wrote:

nope. wouldn't do that to a brand new phone.
Userlevel 5
Marc wrote:

Hope your eventual mg2 update goes as well as my Koodo mg1 and that your as equally pleased with the changes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Marc wrote:

Works great on the 1st Gen Moto G doesn't it, I threw the Google Now Launcher on it and it feels like a Nexus 4 it's pretty great.
Userlevel 1
Marc wrote:

Thanks for tip, will give a try
Marc wrote:

in the same boat as you : ( i dont think that answer to your question was very helpfull at all ,if that is the best answer they can give ! i will seriously concider moving to another carrier
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Marc wrote:

If that's what you think will solve your issue then move to another carrier then it's not going to help unfortunately but if that's your decision nobody is stopping you. Just because you don't like an answer isn't going to change said answer and how things work.
Badge +4
Marc wrote:

I found the answers to be very informative and descriptive, so I'm not sure which answer you're referring to Peter. I presume you've bought a Moto G through Staples as well.
Userlevel 1
Marc wrote:

I think Mobile Masters left no stone unturned, in trying to help solve this issue.