Koodo Community

how to prevent automatic updates.

• 20 September 2021
  • 10 replies

If you own a Motorola phone, it is likely that you will be unable to use Bluetooth after upgrading to Android 11.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/motorola-one-vision/Android-11-Bluetooth-Sync-3-Car-Infosystem-Unreliable-Connection/m-p/5097357

rikkster 2 years ago

Well, I am awaiting  a replacement phone under the Koodo Protection plan.  The insurance company guaranteed a phone with Android 10, so now I only have to figure out how to prevent automatic updates.

To prevent your phone from automatically downloading system updates and provided you’re getting another Motorola One Vision or similar Motorola device, go to Settings > About Phone > Tap Build Number 7 times. You’ll see a brief message that says something like ‘you’re now a developer’. Go back to Settings > Developer Options > Disable Automatic System Updates.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks for the heads up! I’m pretty sure the issue will be fixed with future updates.

I take it, you don’t want to quote a time frame for the update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I take it, you don’t want to quote a time frame for the update.

According to the link, Lenovo doesn’t have a timeframe for a security update either. One way to keep tabs on security updates (which include bug fixes and performance improvements) is to periodically check Koodo’s Software Update Schedule. (The page will have to be updated) Or check for updates using your phone.

Software Update Schedule | Koodo

At this point, it looks as though Lenovo is trying to gather as much information possible to get to the root of the problem. Hopefully, an update becomes available soon.

Well, I am awaiting  a replacement phone under the Koodo Protection plan.  The insurance company guaranteed a phone with Android 10, so now I only have to figure out how to prevent automatic updates.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

To prevent your phone from automatically downloading system updates and provided you’re getting another Motorola One Vision or similar Motorola device, go to Settings > About Phone > Tap Build Number 7 times. You’ll see a brief message that says something like ‘you’re now a developer’. Go back to Settings > Developer Options > Disable Automatic System Updates.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

And until you turn off auto updates, don't enter your sim and don't connect to WiFi so that nothing updates in the background prior to you turning things off

The new phone arrived. Identical to the old one.

When I turned it on, there were two or three questions, and finally a paragraph saying that I had to agree to automatic updates from Google, Lenovo, and Koodo.  Until I do the initial set up will not continue.

My assumption is then to not put a SIM card in, do not connect to WiFi and continue the set up until  I get to a place where I can set the Developer options.

One more question, are Android updates cumulative; ie the latest update includes all prior updates, or are the updates separate and all updates are installed individually in chronological order of issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There are two types of updates. Actually, three. 

1. Automatic app updates are set to update over Wi-Fi-only by default via the Google Play store.  

2. System or Android version updates are typically released annually and often bring major changes to the operating system, (e.g. Android 10 to 11). Changes to the UI, new apps, features and new settings are just a few examples, it’s essentially an overhaul of the previous Android version. System updates are easily recognizable due to their large file size, often ranging from 800 or 900 MB to 1.5 GB or higher, depending on the device.

3. Security updates (or security patches) are generally smaller (a few hundred megabytes) and are rolled out after an Android version update. Some manufacturers deliver security patches on a quarterly basis to address security issues, software bugs and aim to improve device stability and performance. These types of updates fix, for example, the Bluetooth bug after upgrading to Android 11.

To your question, security updates are separate and installed individually in rough chronological order of issue. Meaning that dates are approximate and subject to change. Posted dates reflect when the update is released but can take a few weeks to roll out to all devices. 

Side note, if you are not able to find the Disable Automatic System Updates in Developer Options, look under Settings > Software Updates and see if there’s a menu option (three dots) that will allow you to disable automatic software updates. Keep us posted.   

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You should be able to disable OS updated in About>System>Advanced>System Updates

https://infos-geek.com/en/how-to-disable-android-updates-on-motorola-one-vision/

I followed all the instructions from rikkster and Dennis, and now my new phone is running Android 9 in developer mode, with automatic updates turned off.  I have disabled WiFi as  the phone keeps prompting me do install an update.