airtime usage double my bill

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Lisa.

Could you explain in more words please?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you have a limited minutes and went over, then there will be minutes overage charge.
What plan do you have?
i have the $35  talk and text plan been on same plan for ten years and never had a problem with minutes.  im being charged for incomming calls and even got charged for checking my voice mail.

Userlevel 6
Lisa D Nicholls wrote:

i have the $35  talk and text plan been on same plan for ten years and never had a problem w...

How many minutes does that plan have? I can't recall if it's 100 or 350 minutes. Are you sure you didn't go over your plan's minutes?
Lisa D Nicholls wrote:

i have the $35  talk and text plan been on same plan for ten years and never had a problem w...

i thought it was 400 hundred minutes, maybe they changed the plan cause it says 200 minutes...I never got a notice saying change in plan.

Lisa D Nicholls wrote:

still pathetic that there is no notification that you are getting close on your usauge minutes.  Also instead of 5-10 cents per minute I got charged 50 cents per minute( super high rate for local minutes) and that was for incoming calls as well as I got charged for checking my voice mails.  Guess its time to switch mobile companies. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lisa D Nicholls wrote:

They don't/can't change your plan. 
Check your contract paper that's showing you what is included in your plan.
Also, incoming calls use your minutes unless it's included in your plan.
Checking VM use your minutes as well and I don't like about it.

You can switch company, but just check well what will be included in your plan.
Lisa D Nicholls wrote:

it seems freedom mobile is great about data ( you get 6g highspeed data then goes data speed goes down if you use more then you allotment)  and unlimited calling and incoming calls Canada and US wide.   $40 a month.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Lisa - I see that you're indeed on a $35 plan that gives you 500mb of data and 200 daytime mins. each month. You've been on this plan since 2014 when you changed from one of our older talk and text plans.  Incoming calls were never included, and the rate for going over the 200 mins. has also always been the same ($0.50/min). You can monitor your usage and how your tracking at any time using the self-serve app, or by logging into your self-serve account online. 
Ranjan wrote:

Hi Lisa - I see that you're indeed on a $35 plan that gives you 500mb of data and 200 daytime min...

Talked to customer service and they were very helpful and got me on a unlimited talk and text plan for same price I was paying. 
My husband is looking for a new plan/company but after my bill came in with over usage of minutes he sure won't be going with Koodo.  I get a message if data is getting close....I rarely get to 50% but...when you are in a hospital with things going on , appointments , calls etc.  The LAST thing on your mind is going to the self serve to check you usage!
Koodo please think about putting these warnings in place!!
Userlevel 6
Susan Murray wrote:

My husband is looking for a new plan/company but after my bill came in with over usage of minutes...

When you find a carrier that let's you know your approaching your airtime minutes, let me know! Sure crap happens in life and the last thing you want to do is look at your phone for usage spend - but you already know it's going to be higher than normal because you're using it higher than normal.
Userlevel 6
Susan Murray wrote:

My husband is looking for a new plan/company but after my bill came in with over usage of minutes...

I totally agree that in sticky situations, last thing on your mind is cellular service overrages. I've been in a similar situation in the past. Ported one of our cell lines to Fongo and never looked back. We use that number a fair bit for outbound calls (100-400 minutes per month, always in a wifi zone), and we're able to get unlimited calling to major Canadian cities without a monthly bill. The app requires cellular data or wifi to work. For my primary cellphone, I hammer 800-1200 minutes per month, so I just stick with an unlimited calling plan.
Hospitals usually have better wifi than cellular reception anyway. If you're not on unlimited calling to keep your monthly plan at a low price-point, consider making outbound calls via Google Hangouts Dialer over Wifi. You can configure it to show your cellphone number on outbound calls and it won't use your cellular minutes. Call quality is OK, but maybe better than cellular calls in hospitals where cellphone reception might be poor.
Agreed with Cameron Jones. No carrier will advise you of approaching your airtime minutes limit. Best bet is to know your usage (average plus peaks), figure out which plan is best for you, then be ready with alternative solutions when major events happen (example wifi calling via Google Hangouts).
Susan Murray wrote:

The last thing on my mind was worrying about people calling me,[b] Cameron obviously you must not be a parent or you have never dealt with your kid in major pain  who is super sick and our medical system frustrations.......you would not of said such a stupid comment about shit happening in life.   I was way to busy dealing with my sick daughter at the hospital, oh yes and my other younger kids that needed to be taken care of and so on at home... so for me to spend even 2 minutes  to go and look up if I was paying for incoming calls and how much was not even possible.  I am never even close to my talk limit.  The hospital was brutal for reception and I actually had to use my moms phone to call home as Rogers was better then Koodo with their service reception.  I really not arguing about them not notifying but at the same time 50 cents per minute is a major ripe off.  I highly doubt I would have freaked if it was priced more like local phone calls.